Easy don/doff hoods?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dogbowl

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
I swear by my 3mm beanie and won’t dive without it in the Caribbean, to keep my hair down and to add a little warmth. It’s really ugly, no doubt. I’d like to try a hood now, 3-5mm, to be worn in warm water. Anyone have recommendations for one that is easy don/doff without pulling out my hairs and strangling my face and neck? Thanks!

key is to have one with a zip down the back of the neck and preferably no skirt so you're looking for a drysuit hood. Pinnacle makes a nice one, but it is 7mm. Probably a few 3mm or 5mm's out there, but you want the zip so it expands for don/doff, and skirts are particularly annoying, especially for warm-ish water, so want to look at the drysuit hoods that don't have them

I concur with @tbone1004 - Here is what I own and have used for years and swear by. Very easy to don and doff and has the zipper in the back and is soooo comfortable and warm-- even in my cold So Cal and PNW waters down to 48 degrees. You can even pay Canadian dollars for it :wink: Heat Non-Zip Hood

Oops- I think I sent you the link to the non-zippered hood-- Anyway's, they make a zippered one. Mine was a White's version, before Aqua Lung bought them out.

Here you go-- How is it that you and I keep crossing paths? @Dogbowl
Heat Zippered Hood

Not what you are asking for but I love my Camero hooded vest for warm water diving. It is very lightweight and comfortable. The hood conforms to the face without restricting and I can just slide it on and off without worrying about completely removing and finding where I put it before splashing. I also don’t feel as “throttled” in the neck and chin as I felt in a hood alone. I think my Camero is a 2 mm so only adds a little warmth and its just right in the moderate water temps of the Carribean spring and fall. Unfortunately they don’t make this anymore but I know Scubapro and Sharkskin both have a light weight hooded vest.

July in Cozumel I use a lycra hood...

Attachments

• 99F26D1F-93E4-4281-9AE1-97EE98416CA2.jpeg
    99F26D1F-93E4-4281-9AE1-97EE98416CA2.jpeg
    28.2 KB · Views: 64
I like the Neosport 3/2 hood.

NeoSport 3/2mm Vented Bib Hood

It's vented so it helps keep air bubbles from forming between your head and the inside of the hood. It's also relatively cheap. It's easy to don and doff, but my hair is short. My experience is that is fits true to the size chart. Some of the reviews on LP point out it fits loose around the neck. That's true, but that's OK for me. If it were a hood I was going to use in really cold water, I'd care more.

I usually use mine in water about 65 F with my 5 mm suit when I expect to cross a significant number of thermoclines. It helps keep the ice cream headaches at bay.

Thanks everyone, I’ll look into all of those and see which has the best fit for my oddly shaped head.

I had two hoods with skirts and gave them away. Skirt is a pain. Now I use a beanie in warmer water and a 5/3 hooded vest if I want more warmth.

I don't like the wet hoods with the skirts. Buy a Drysuit hood. They are more comfortable and less restrictive!

Back
Top Bottom