Best bang-for-the-buck in basic wetsuits ? (3-5mm, shorty and full)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mark IV

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I've been out of the scene for a good while, and have been rooting around the interwebs looking at various options, but don't really have a feel for who's-who and what's-what anymore.
Back in the day, I found that the Hobie/Stearns shorty I got at Sams Club for around $40, was damn near bullet proof, and lasted forever (it wasn't my everyday suit, but I used that thing for years, till it finally went missing.......I believe I left it on the beach or in a taxi after giving a free intro beach dive to a girl I was putting the moves on !! :D).
Any other operations making solid, but economical, suits? There are brands out now that I'm not familiar with, and we've all seen once-reputable companies turn to crap over the years, so I'm asking for recommendations for good options, and warnings on ones to avoid.
Any good info at all is much appreciated......

I like 1 piece suits over the old farmer john and jacket style. I bought a 1 piece and its very flexible, comfortable and warm.Aqua Lung. It cost $375 at a LDS.

The Hobie/Sterns wet suit was designed and developed for surfing and water skiing, therefore the arm area was cut a little full for scratching for a wave or water skiing. A proper fitting modern suit will (or should) fit considerably tighter, but with the modern advances in wet suit materials will stretch and be form fitting.

I would suggest that you contact Dano who is a member of this board at @MAKO Spearguns - he has a decent wet suit at a decent price

SDM

AquaLung makes a line of suits they call “High Value” while primarily intended for rental use these suits are full feature. While I have high end AquaLung and Henderson suits I wear these High Value suits as my work suits. Really like my 5/3, and find the full 7mm to be one of the warmest suits I have worn although it is a bit hard to get into. Check it out.

Any suggestions on a size wet suit for a man 6’ & 250 lbs. without going to a dive shop and trying one on? Thx

I've been out of the scene for a good while, and have been rooting around the interwebs looking at various options, but don't really have a feel for who's-who and what's-what anymore.
Back in the day, I found that the Hobie/Stearns shorty I got at Sams Club for around $40, was damn near bullet proof, and lasted forever (it wasn't my everyday suit, but I used that thing for years, till it finally went missing.......I believe I left it on the beach or in a taxi after giving a free intro beach dive to a girl I was putting the moves on !! :D).
Any other operations making solid, but economical, suits? There are brands out now that I'm not familiar with, and we've all seen once-reputable companies turn to crap over the years, so I'm asking for recommendations for good options, and warnings on ones to avoid.
Any good info at all is much appreciated......
I have found that the best bang for the buck is the Neo Sport line of wetsuits made by Henderson
Neosport by Henderson Wetsuits | Jumpsuits |Shorties buy at LeisurePro

Any suggestions on a size wet suit for a man 6’ & 250 lbs. without going to a dive shop and trying one on? Thx

Size EDJ ? (Extra Double-Jumbo" !! :rofl3: )
But seriously, I'd say at least a XXL. Check Leisure Pro, specifically the various manufacturers sizing charts, as well as the reviews and FAQ's. Many times people will state their size/weight, and how a given item fit them. I'm 5-11" and hovering around 210+, and most charts have me in an XL. But, if you're at 250#, even a XXL may be a squeeze, I dunno.

Good info guys, thanks, I'll check some of these operations out. BTW, I recently scored a brand new/un-used Mares 3mil full suit, in size 6/XL, on ebay......with a counter offer of $60,delivered !!! :D I was more interested in a decent shorty, and something thicker in a full suit, but I figured a brand new Mares for $60, was too good to pass up !

Back
Top Bottom