High rated dive shops

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I get it Christi. I wasn't referencing the particular TA review (I haven't read it). I was just voicing an alternative opinion of the "act" itself. :)

I get it Christi. I wasn't referencing the particular TA review (I haven't read it). I was just voicing an alternative opinion of the "act" itself. :)

No worries at all - and you helped me to see that I also needed to be clear on my position on that. While the review really was unwarranted, I do expect professionalism from my crew - and that act is not the picture of professionalism. I did appreciate that feedback, but I had already gotten it and discussed it with the father (who dove all week with us and ADDED days and that private trip because he was having such a bad time right?) from the father and addressed it with Pedro before the kid wrote the review - he was "mad" about other things we would not permit him and his friends to do and that's how he "got me back". 99.9% of the time my crew is the picture of professionalism, but we are all human :)

No worries at all - and you helped me to see that I also needed to be clear on my position on that. While the review really was unwarranted, I do expect professionalism from my crew - and that act is not the picture of professionalism. I did appreciate that feedback, but I had already gotten it and discussed it with the father (who dove all week with us and ADDED days and that private trip because he was having such a bad time right?) from the father and addressed it with Pedro before the kid wrote the review - he was "mad" about other things we would not permit him and his friends to do and that's how he "got me back". 99.9% of the time my crew is the picture of professionalism, but we are all human :)

This is why, in spite of never having used Blue~XTC, I wouldn't hesitate in recommending this shop to friends under the right circumstances. Especially if any of them would freak out over a DM peeing off the stern of the boat. I saw that TA review long before this thread and my first thought was, "THAT is an issue you won't see come up again."

I have stopped contributing to TA exactly for some of the reasons outlined in this forum. That's after about 121 reviews. Seven or eight years ago, they were still a true-to-their-word review company. Now..., I might pay some attention to their forums. It "feels" a little more real.

@Christi - I really can't believe a customer was offended by peeing off of the back of the boat. Wait..., I can, but I think the reviewer is an idiot. Honestly... Was the wind blowing in the wrong direction - at 30 knots?? Was he facing the wrong way and trying to show how he could pee over his shoulder? I would love to pee off of the back of the boat (or even pee over my shoulder), but I get stage fright - even from the other dive boats 12 miles away.. I have been on more than one boat where a male relieved himself off of the back. I am mostly jealous, as I need to pee while in the water. I am also grateful that others don't pee off the back while I am in the water.

There are several things one never discusses in public... religion, salary and their favorite dive shop in Cozumel...

Someone was offended by peeing off a boat? Good Lord! I've been around boats almost my entire life (primarily smaller boats that lack toilets) and peeing off the side regardless of who is on-board is about as normal throwing lunch leftovers over the side for the sea gulls. Heck, even my friends who have larger boats with flushing toilets pee off the side as those toilets are reserved for WOMEN ONLY and it better be a friggin' emergency if they use it as no one enjoys pumping out or emptying a holding tank.

Oh well, there's one in every bunch I guess who's not happy if they can't find something to bitch about. I bet this complainer was a reef-clinger and trampler, tries to extract lobsters by pulling on their antennae, leaves a cloud of stirred up sand and silt everywhere they fin and fits the saying, "There's an A-hole on every boat and if you can't tell who it is it may be you"... Pretty sure we found the one on that boat. Offended at peeing off a boat... I pity the spouse of this individual... Probably on spouse #3 or #4 if I were to guess.

I still go to Trip Advisor ocassionally, but not to read the reviews. My experience with Danube, an outstanding restaurant that used to be just south of the International Pier, convinced me that TA was completely useless for ratings - it was far too easy to game, and was regularly gamed by competitors and disgruntled A-holes. Great reviews, entirely legitimate, can disappear entirely, phony bad reviews can ruin a good business. I posted a very good review for Danube for one of the better meals I had on Cozumel, only to find that it had been deleted; when I inquired of TA why, I found out that an anonymous source reported my review as fake, and it was gone. Danube’s rating on TA fell to near the bottom, its business dried up, and it closed. Damn you, Trip Advisor!

Forgive me if I have said this in here before, but I don't do surveys and reviews anymore. Nowadays if you run to the corner store to buy a sixpack of beer, they want you to "rate your experience". It's all too much.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom