Friday Night Norte

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

everybody on the boat was shivering and miserable
Wet in the wind - no surprise.

We're considering a 5 day trip to Playa del Carmen Feb 20-15, and some diving near Cozumel. How will the weather be there? Air temp? Water temp? Visibility? Would a 7 mm and hood be enough?
Highs could be in the 60s some days, so don't get caught hating it. I like to carry Mylar Survival Blankets in my car, hiking pack, dive bag - anywhere I go. Very small & light, easy to use, a real life safer when you left your jacket in the room. Doubles as a rain poncho. Here is a 2 pack for $4 delivered, or 4 pack for $5, or 10 pack for $9. I think I need to order another 10 pack myself. Always good to have on hand for grandkids who didn't think they needed a coat.

Hi All. We are headed in Friday 26th and leave Tuesday evening.

Should we be concerned about wind? It seems to be almost directly forecasted from east but seems gusty.
It's wintertime everywhere north of Ecuador. Be prepared and flexible.

Hi All. We are headed in Friday 26th and leave Tuesday evening.

Should we be concerned about wind? It seems to be almost directly forecasted from east but seems gusty.
The island protects most of the dive sites from an east wind. The sites at the far south end of the island may be blown out in a strong east wind, though.

I dive a 7 mm in Cozumel all the time. Sometimes i have to flood the suit to stay cool but much better than being cold. This trip ( as we speak )have not flooded suit have been cold. Really cold on boat thank god for coats.
Me too! My brand new 7 mm Bare Evoke wetsuit is the best suit I have ever owned and although I get lots of teasing on the boat about a Canadian who gets cold and needs that much thermal protection, it's all good. I am warm and comfortable at the end of every dive.

The island protects most of the dive sites from an east wind. The sites at the far south end of the island may be blown out in a strong east wind, though.

Where we dive is not inportant to me. I was there in October and did not get to dive a single day because every day was a north wind.

My question should probably be rephrased to ask how often do east winds shut the whole park down.

Winds on Monday and Tuesday are not looking too good... strong North... We are thinking of doing cenotes on Monday if you would like to tag along if things stay like they are... We don't fly out until Wednesday. We are diving with IDC and staying at Casa Mexicana

how often do east winds shut the whole park down.
Very rare. Most of the dive park is west of the island and close enough to it that it's sheltered from east winds.

I was there in October and did not get to dive a single day because every day was a north wind.
North winds are a bigger problem. How many days did you try?

Where we dive is not inportant to me. I was there in October and did not get to dive a single day because every day was a north wind.

My question should probably be rephrased to ask how often do east winds shut the whole park down.

Port was closed for 2.5 days this past October - that is very rare.

Chris Lynch...WOW you got very unlucky. I have (een spending two weeks here every October for the last 6 years and have never missed a dive day. IN fact, every year i've come, I've come in October (also here in April, July, and sometimes January)....I tell myself "this is the best weather I've ever had on any vacation, anywhere". I guess timing IS everything, but October is definitely the month during which I've had the best luck.

Winds on Monday and Tuesday are not looking too good... strong North... We are thinking of doing cenotes on Monday if you would like to tag along if things stay like they are... We don't fly out until Wednesday. We are diving with IDC and staying at Casa Mexicana

Hmmm - not sure what site you are looking at - but
1. A week from now is really not worth looking at or planning around
2. If this forecast hols true - there won't be any issues - this shows a ver mild ENE wind which is a non-issue

upload_2018-1-22_15-6-41.png

Chris Lynch...WOW you got very unlucky. I have (een spending two weeks here every October for the last 6 years and have never missed a dive day. IN fact, every year i've come, I've come in October (also here in April, July, and sometimes January)....I tell myself "this is the best weather I've ever had on any vacation, anywhere". I guess timing IS everything, but October is definitely the month during which I've had the best luck.

I have been diving Cozumel in December for the past three years and would have described the weather as absolutely perfect. This past December, however, we went to Isla Mujeres after Cozumel (December 8-13) and the port was closed for one of our scheduled dive days and on the last day we were freezing. I have since found myself looking at 7mm wetsuits!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom