Re-purposed condemned SCUBA tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@CuzzA

You are a brave man -- installing a bell in your children's play house--for a while it will be ding ding ding, then they will tire of it as the novelty wears off -- until they have guest over for a play date, more ding ding ding,-- but who cares? they are your children and they are only young for a short time- As they enjoy and discover life you can enjoy your children

I have never personally cut a bell so short , but it is proportionately more bell shaped that the longer models that are made from SCUBA tanks.

Does it have a pleasant ring (what ever that indicates)-- check post about wrapping the clapper in leather
I note the valve is still attached--I have always used eyebolts or trailer hitch balls as attachment points

And what are your plans for the bottom half ? I have seen some locals who have made interesting bells from the bottom half using all sorts of attachment devisees from trailer balls to rings to fittings of unknown origin but I suspect antique fire place screens.

Interesting -- this thread is about old SCUBA tanks and the adjoining thread is about marking a new SCUBA tank -

Keep Up the good work and keep us informed about your tree house Bell

Sam Miller, III

@ScubaBunga
Very impressive SCUBA tanks- like the bright almost automotive finish.

May I suggest a modification to your clapper. When I made my first bells abut 30=35 years ago I used a 2 pound lead salmon deep sea fishing weight for a clapper, which I suspect you will never find a salmon deep sea fishing weight in Wright City Missouri. It produced a metal on metal tone - Pleasing but not really the tone I was hoping it would produce.

By the time my wife began making bells out of SCUBA tanks and assorted smaller HP cylinders about 20 years ago the hobby spread and other locals had began making bells - some as a hobby others as a cottage business. Some unknown local hobbyist wrapped the clapper in leather and securely supper glued the leather the clapper. This one modification produced a very melodic deep rich tone ( I guess that is the way to describe the tone) Might want to experiment with your bells clapper..

Stay warm

Sam Miller, 111[/QUOTE]

This says it all about clappers:

Last edited:
I've made a couple bells out of some old steel tanks. One of them I made a bell out of I just used a small bit of the top and used the majority of the bottom of the tank as a rock tumbler for my son. Same tumbler I use to tumble the tanks - just fill it with rocks and grit, seal the end and let it run overnight. Here's a link to my Tank bell

I really like your treadmill tumbler. Thank you.

If you're in the Redondo Beach area, stop by Dive n Surf and check out Billy Meistrell's bells.
Meistrell-shark-bell-1.jpg

@dead dog : Thanks for the feedback - for the clapper my first one is a 2" steel bearing - bangs loud!. Can easily be heard 1/2mi out into the woods - for calling the boys back. I'm looking to see if a horseshoe setup will work for all the wife's cowboy mounted shooting club members. Also just looking at a block of wood (I have several types of wood laying around) - I'll be trying a few different clappers.

The tumbler is now very stable. I've saved 6 steel tanks so far, plus routinely keep my others very clean. Have a 7th and 8th waiting for hydro if/when I need them. And have two more ready to become bells that couldn't be saved. Never thought of tumbling my tanks until the LDS condemned one my tanks for having a liner - and didn't even tell me about it - I realized the numbers were X'd out after I got home. Lots of questions later and I got my PSI-PCI visual certification and got to know my hydro guy really well at a different LDS.

@MaxBottomtime

"If you're in the Redondo Beach area, stop by Dive n Surf and check out Billy Meistrell's bells."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Max
What is the purposed of the display?
To market the cut tanks?
To Display the tanks for the customers amusement?
A musical instrument in the making ?

Just wondering ?

SDM

Max
That is one interesting story....The legend of the Bob and Bill loves on...

I have a number of tanks and five children-- just might make five special bells..

I recall that you had the last remaining LA Co UW Instructor produced SCUBA tank Bar B Ques. How about posting a picture ?

SDM

@MaxBottomtime

That may or not be the tank LACO UIA Bar B Que. It appears to be a bit more sophisticated and detailed than the LA Co unit that I recall

As I recall the LA Co unit was sliced straight across from top to bottom - It could be used as a Bar B Que or a smoker.
I didn't purchased one and it was about 35 years ago when they introduced at the SCUBA Show on the Queen Mary as a fundraiser for the UIA'

I now question if there are any of the originals remaining in use ?

SDM

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom