Trip Report: 12/24-1/1 with Blue Project and Cenote Xperience

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dan G

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We recently returned from a great trip to Cozumel, 12/24-1/1, diving with Blue Project in Coz and Cenote Xperience in Tulum. Blue Project is a small valet dive op that is run by the husband and wife team of Paco and Blanca. Paco was great at communicating via email months in advance and catering to our group’s schedule which we designed to maximize our diving.

Both Paco and Blanca met us at our hotel after our arrival to pick up our gear, fill out paperwork, and discuss the places we wanted to dive that week. Only one time all week did we have a group larger than the four of us with only one DM. Every other time, if there were others on the boat, there was a second DM or instructor (never more than 7-8 divers on the boat). Each DM we dove with, from Blanca to Nico to Juan (of Tres P fame) were really great. They all had their own style, delivered clear pre-dive briefings, and were very accommodating regarding where we wanted to go. A highlight was that while they were great at pointing things out, they avoided lots of loud tank banging, especially when the bigger creatures would come by.

We saw Giant Spotted Eagle Rays daily, with a few very close and wonderful encounters. Their markings are incredible. Blanca gets the spotting award for the small stuff, finding 3 juvenile drums on a single dive, as well as a bunch of nudi branches. If anyone has ever been out with Jose of Blue Angel, she is easily his equal. She was also a great guide for our kids on the afternoon we took them with us so they could snorkel.

Their boat is fast and full of water, juice, and good SI food. Maya is a skilled captain who knows the reefs and understands how to read conditions. There is always a nitrox analyzer on the boat (not the case with every op I’ve been out with). We never felt rushed to get in or out of the water. We always had a 1 hour SI on the beach and it was obvious that Blanca, Maya, and the DMs like their jobs.

Our day on the mainland with Cenote Xperience was an equally first-rate way of going to Dos Ojos. Nicolas and his brother, Martin, picked us up at the ferry in PDC, brought us to their shop to do paperwork and outfit us with extra neoprene for the divers and the snorkelers. Nicolas gave a great briefing and Martin did a wonderful job of taking care of our kids who were snorkeling. It is clear that these two guys are close and love their work which translates into a great day for all of us. We also appreciate how Nicolas helped to organize a van taxi for us so we could also go to the ruins in Tulum after Dos Ojos. (the taxi union has gotten a lot stricter recently) I had a nice convo with Nicolas about how I might approach getting cave cert in the Tulum area. (we can all dream, right?)

Overall we had a great week and will book with both of these ops again.

thanks for sharing your insights. Continued safe diving to you.

Thanks @Dan G , great review!

Juan was my AOW instructor this past December and did a good job. We wouldn’t hesitate to hire him again.

We also dove with Nico in September. Nico has a knack to get you hooked. We would not hesitate to do a course with him. Not cave, cause we’re just not there yet. He’s so calming, patient and helpful.

Nice report. I did not know Blanca ad Paco got married! And, Juan is one of my favorite folks on the planet. I took my rescue certifications with him and it was awesome. I seriously may take it again because it was so fun, educational, challenging. I need the refresher anyway!

How was the cavern diving experience at Dos Ojos? Did you do both dives there? I'll be diving with them this April . Thanks

Nice report. I did not know Blanca ad Paco got married! And, Juan is one of my favorite folks on the planet. I took my rescue certifications with him and it was awesome. I seriously may take it again because it was so fun, educational, challenging. I need the refresher anyway!

You know what, I misspoke. They haven't officially tied the knot. Still, they are like a husband and wife team and I guess I was just trying to capture the type of business Blue Project is.

How was the cavern diving experience at Dos Ojos? Did you do both dives there? I'll be diving with them this April . Thanks

The experience was fantastic and I would be eager to go with Cenote Xperience again. We did both dives and loved it. We chose Dos Ojos, even though my wife and I had been there before because we had 3 snorkelers with us and Dos Ojos is also very good for snorkeling.

You know what, I misspoke. They haven't officially tied the knot. Still, they are like a husband and wife team and I guess I was just trying to capture the type of business Blue Project is.

No worries! They sure are a good team! And, you're right, they've done a great job with their business. Looking forward to seeing them.

Did the same combo in August! Great service all the way around.

The cenotes could definitely be a gateway to cave diving. I found myself wanting to wander off the line and explore further.

Have you dived any of the other cenotes CX offers? I'm going to be doing a two-tank dive with Cenote Xperience in April and will be doing Dos Ojos + one other. Which one would you recommend? I will have one snorkeler with me...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom