which el-cheapo ultrasonic cleaner?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hitchy

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
hey

I'm in need of some advice on ultrasonic cleaners, i have to start servicing my own gear as the guys at my LDS are being complete c*nts and they are the only dive store within a 4 hour drive lol

so i'm buying tools and equipment, i'm currently looking at these 2 cheap "Chinese non brand" ultrasonic cleaners
LATEST MODEL Professional ULTRASONIC CLEANER 750ml 2006401
Professional DIGITAL ULTRASONIC CLEANER 70W 1400ml 2006402

the biggest difference is the tank volume and the input power. I'm leaning towards the 70w 1400ml model but just want advice/info on them or other ultrasonic cleaners

cheers
hitchy

Yes. Tank volume is key. Good choice.
The prices can't be beat.

But know that these are Chinese products. I went through three of them at about a year of use each, before I decided to spend the money for an American unit.
Between sonic head and circuit board failures, they just don't stand up.

But if you're only doing occasional "own regulator" service, you can't beat the price.

thanks for the speedy reply rsingler
yeah i was thinking that the tank volume was important, but just wasnt to sure on the size (trying to guess the volume of the one ive seen in my LDS)

yeah i know they are Chinese products, i'm in New Zealand so an American made (or equivalent) unit is unfortunately out of my price range for now, maybe next year ill be able to upgrade

The ones I use are 3 litre capacity, I can just about get 2 stripped down 2nd stages in the basket.

In the States a lot of people use the Harbor Freight model. I have no idea what's available in your locale. The HF was the 1st one I used and worked well for quite some time til I upgraded to a lab grade model. My friend still uses my old one to clean engine parts, it's slow but works well. Something in the 2-3 liter range is nice for dive gear.

There is a pretty useful thread from a few years back with the different models people had luck with.

In the States a lot of people use the Harbor Freight model.

I have the larger HF model, which is a Chinese built unit, and if works well for the occasional use I give it for regs, and other work around my home shop. A commercial unit would be better but i don't run a commercial shop or have at least 10 times the money to buy a real good one.

It looks like the larger unit is probably an equivalent to the one I picked up.

Bob

Last edited:
That is an unbelievable price. I would be careful, as previously stated, of the expected life of the sonicator.
I have a Branson model (0.75gal/2.8L capacity) that I bought off a used lab supply site (LabX). It still cost ~$150, but has lasted 5 years and is going strong. I also like that it has a heating element to keep the water ~25 C, which seems to help with stubborn corrosion and debris.

thanks for the speedy reply rsingler
yeah i was thinking that the tank volume was important, but just wasnt to sure on the size (trying to guess the volume of the one ive seen in my LDS)

yeah i know they are Chinese products, i'm in New Zealand so an American made (or equivalent) unit is unfortunately out of my price range for now, maybe next year ill be able to upgrade

Not to mention incompatible voltage.

...//... I have a Branson model (0.75gal/2.8L capacity) that I bought off a used lab supply site (LabX). It still cost ~$150, but has lasted 5 years and is going strong. I also like that it has a heating element to keep the water ~25 C, which seems to help with stubborn corrosion and debris.
That is a true bargain! I use a Bransonic M3800, no heat. Save a few bucks. Start with hot water.

Yours will continue to run forever provided that you 1) never turn it on empty (there is an etched line in the tank for your liquid level). Keep your liquid level near that line and try to keep heavy parts off the bottom. And 2) use a wire basket for your parts. Easy to fake a 'factory' basket, the parts just need to not touch the bottom. That way, your transducers will never be accidentally overloaded and crack.

The transducers will still sort of work when cracked, so beware. If you buy a used Bransonic, do so with the caveat that you can return it if the transducers are cracked. They are easy units to open and inspect, just a quick glance will tell all. I used to repair them as a favor to researchers in my past life.

And, BTW, Bransonic is great with customer satisfaction. If you have a problem, just call them.

@buddhasummer, use an iron and copper transformer. They can be overdriven. I knew of a displaced Brit houswife who ran her VAX on one until it would smoke. VAX as in Brit vacuum cleaner. Not the US computer. Much humor there, our computer system sucked....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom