Japanese diver killed by prop - Phuket, Thailand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If the propeller was on, which we assume it to be on as she was fatally wounded by it. Why did she jump? Or why was the engine on while she jumped?

You never jump off a boat while on scuba when it’s still moving? Or maybe it was still, but somebody slipped and nudged the throttle forward unexpectantly?

I can’t get my head around this. Anyone have more info on this?

Last summer, a mooring line became fouled in our the prop. I made sure the crew disabled any chance the prop might start. Got a nasty cut anyway. My first thought was, "Wow! If a stationary prop can do this, I can't imagine what a spinning prop could do."
You can untangle the rope from the prop without getting into the water. Lift the engine out. Maybe you didn’t need to get cut.

I personally hope that some sort of prop guard should be fitted to dive boats to minimise the chances of any mishaps such as this.

I personally hope that prop guards should not be fitted to dive boats but that the people on those boats must muster up common sense. You can’t jump off while the boat is still moving, never mind if the prop is.

These “shopping trolleys” as I call them are useless. They make the boat about 20% slower, and the steering is less reactive, not to mention it drives up cost by 75€ to install one of these plasters to a problem that shouldn’t be there.

It’s horrible that this happened but I think it would be more of a hinderence than a help if every dive charter was made to install one of these things because of one unfortunate tragedy that as @Sam Miller III said, could have been avoided.

I personally hope that some sort of prop guard should be fitted to dive boats to minimise the chances of any mishaps such as this.

They exist. I find this page rather fascinating: Boating Industry Statements About Propeller Guards :: PropellerSafety.com

You can untangle the rope from the prop without getting into the water. Lift the engine out. Maybe you didn’t need to get cut.

Ever tried lifting twin inboard diesels to untangle the props?

Reading through those statements gives me the very clear impression that it's about legal accountability and fear that if the courts understand how useful they are at reducing injuries, they might become mandatory or their lack may increase liability in lawsuits.
As to when they're actually in use...
“With regards to the injuries when guards are fitted, we have enquired at several clubs operating these units, and no serious injuries have been reported. People do get struck by the outboard motors with guards, and the only ill effects being minor bruising and abrasion. Collisions with people in the water have occurred at various speeds including full throttle.”

Sidenote: I've cut ropes from fixed(inboard) engines, yes in full scuba gear.

Lift the inboard out of a 40 ft commercial dive boat while on site?

I see lots of speculation going on about the boat in this accident. It might help further discussion to know that this was the boat from which the accident happened:

South Siam 3 (SSD3)

I see lots of speculation going on about the boat in this accident. It might help further discussion to know that this was the boat from which the accident happened:

South Siam 3 (SSD3)
A liveaboard yacht. Yup that was one of the two main possibilities, the other being the usual converted fishing boats that's so common among thai dive operators.

You can lift the props with the console if they’re outboard. 90% of boats are outboard.

Statistically, 90% of all statistics is made up.

I've cleaned a small 25hp outboard enough times to know you don't wanna bend over the transept to do that. You want to have a platform to do it from. How many % have one?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom