2017 Dive Stats and Highlights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Trailboss123

Divemaster
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I was just looking back through my 2017 dive log and realized that I did quite a bit of diving for someone who doesn't dive for a living and still has to hold down a job to support his diving fetish. What did your 2017 dive year look like?

2017 Dive Stats = 196 dives
11 in Florida (Boynton/Jupiter/West Palm)
53 in Bonaire
50 in Cozumel
78 in the So Cal Channel Islands (Anacapa and Santa Cruz Islands)
04 shore dives at Shaw's Cove in Laguna Beach, CA

First time in forever that I did ZERO dives up in the Pacific Northwest. (That is a lowlight! I miss my wolf eels and GPO's)- Won't happen in 2018!

HIGHLIGHTS
1. Improved my underwater photography skills
2. Met and/or dived with some really great Scubaboarders for the first time. - You know who you are- @darook @uncfnp; @Christi just to name a few.
3. Got to work as a safety diver for Vice TV on an upcoming documentary of the Channel Islands
4. Got my first ever decent photo of a Spanish Shawl nudibranch (see below)
5. Saw my first ever Blue Dorid nudibranch and somehow got a 1/2 way decent picture of it -- (see below)
6. Got to know and connect with this online community to a much greater degree and am grateful for it. So many of you that I look forward to meeting some day-- such as: @MaxBottomtime , @KathyV ; @scubadada ; @drbill ; @Sam Miller III ; @The Chairman ; @Wookie

upload_2018-1-27_14-12-22.png

upload_2018-1-27_14-12-50.png

Last edited:
You seem to have caught the diving bug ...and good for you and the diving community

Your UW photography is truly outstanding - good subject matter, good lighting, great composition
( only display your best photographs - a photographer is judged by the best and remembered by his worst )

Keep up the good work ...Monitor your self and diving and don't burn out

Sam miller, III

Nice post @Trailboss123

I got in 200 dives in 2017, my second best, I got in 204 in 2016.

115 dives in SE Florida
24 dives in Cocos
17 dives in Roatan
15 dives in Cayman Brac
29 dives in Bonaire

I've posted pictures from most of the trips.
upload_2018-1-27_18-44-43.png

upload_2018-1-27_18-45-34.png

upload_2018-1-27_18-48-18.png

upload_2018-1-27_18-48-57.png

upload_2018-1-27_18-51-1.png

upload_2018-1-27_18-51-57.png

upload_2018-1-27_18-53-31.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-1-27_18-54-30.png
    upload_2018-1-27_18-54-30.png
    289.9 KB · Views: 42
@Trailboss123 , your post makes me envious! I don’t know how you can get almost 200 dives in while holding down a job!

@scubadada , I’m jealous of you too!

I only got a total of 15 in all of 2017! And it was the most I’ve ever gotten in a year! I really must try harder.

9 - Cozumel
6 - Mexican cenotes

Highlights:
Purchased first and second bcd’s, and first reg set.
Completed AOW and Nitrox.
Completed first dive-dedicated vacation.
Booked first liveaboard (for 2018).

Last edited:
2017 was my best year yet as far as numbers go - 100 total dives !! 28 dives in Cozumel last March, and 72 dives in the cold ocean of central Vancouver Island. Three great dive buddies made this possible - someone was usually available. These were all shore dives. One new spot that we tried out and it has become a favourite.
Logged my 1400th dive at the end of December. :cheers:

Retired my old Pro Plus 2 computer and upgraded with a Pro Plus 3. :cool:

Confirmed my reservations for Scuba Club in March - joining my friends from Sharky's Scuba in Ottawa again for two great weeks. :thumb:

Dive safe !!

Divegoose

21 Dive for me. not too bad for being land-locked in the middle of nowhere!
2 Dives in Greece,
3 Ice Dive,
16 "local" dive.

Highlights.
Got another country under my belt,
Saved a life, and
Took my rescue right after that.

What a great idea for a post and such impressive stats, @Trailboss123!

Here’s mine.

56 total dives

12 in Bahamas
5 in Monterey/Carmel, California
7 in South Lake Tahoe, California
2 in Mexico (Coronado Islands - 100th!)
2 in San Diego, California
22 in Raja Ampat, Indonesia
6 in Lembeh Strait, Indonesia

I went from GoPro to a camera rig in Oct just in time for Indonesia and I am incredibly happy! I also dialed my weighting with the new camera rig. Lastly, I went muck diving for the first time in Lembeh and surprisingly, I liked it more than I thought I would. I also met some incredible people along the way that I have kept in touch with. I’m really excited for 2018!

75 total
4 Mexico
19 Bahamas
52 British Columbia

Highlights
First dive weekend away Campbell River
First Liveaboard Blackbeard’s
Completed Wreck, Navigation, Deep Specialty courses
Saw 13 octopus on one dive

For 2018 I have started divemaster training.

73 in 2017. The usual. 20 some FL panhandle in winter, 12 NY area mid summer, the rest April--June and Sept. to winter here in Nova Scotia. All shallow shore dives (except one or two). Exciting, huh? Maybe I'll get to the tropics again one of these years - have only done that once --in 2011 a week in Panama (Carib. side).

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom