i450T review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I recently bought the Oceanic version, the OCi, and my partner bought the AL i450T in white. I bought the OCi Black as I wanted the DSAT algorithm option though i have left it on PZ+ to match my dive partner. I'm sad I didn't buy this sooner as I really love this comptuer.

We just spent a week in Bonaire and these computers worked great. The air integration worked very well except twice mine lost connection and beeped at me as I kept my hands under my body and it couldn't get a reading. As soon as I looked at it and it received a signal, all was well. The menu system is excellent. It's small enough that I wore it as a watch all week. It's easy to read underwater and on the boat. The screen is very clear and easy to understand. Overall we are both very happy with these and we would purchase these again in a heartbeat.

Willar - Thank you for the information. It is very helpful. I am curious -- having had experience with both these computer (the OCi and the AL i450T) is there one that you preferred over the other, and if so why? Also, from your review, I take it that the battery in the AL (and the OCi for that matter) did not give you any problems -- although it sounds like you might not have had the computers long enough to really tell.

We did 20+ dives on these and the battery is still high. Several people at our local dive shop have both and I'm hearing the batteries aren't a problem. I prefer the OCi because it has an option for DSAT or PZ+ algorithm with the PZ+ being the only setting on the Aqualung versions. PZ+ is more conservative than DSAT but not as conservative as Suunto's standard RGBM computers (which was my old computer). Other than that and a couple of minor changes to the menus, the OCi and i450T appear to be identical in function and will use the same tank transmitters. I prefer the look of the Oceanic Black version over the gray/blue or white that Aqualung offers.

From what I've heard the model with a short battery life is the 750 which has the big color screen.

I've had mine for 8 months, 151 dives, 83 hours per the history function including some use of the backlight on cavern / night dives. Just started getting the low battery light if the ambient temp is less than 60F last week. Sounds like there is some type of issue with either your battery or the computer.

Thanks FlyingDiver. Thinking I may have a lemon. I replaced the battery with a fresh one two weeks ago. Did four training dives in a freshwater indoor diving training center here in Italy (without even using the tank transmitter-about 4 hours total submerged time at only 30 feet), and I'm at low battery. Anybody else seeing this?

I am wondering if the synch function via the USB drains the battery? Remember the first generation of digital cameras you had to synch with a computer via USB? Those used to drain the camera battery terribly.

Thoughts anybody? Getting concerned after the $1,200 I invested on this computer and the tank sensors.

Last edited:
I used the USB transfer after every dive trip - it can't be that power intensive and the watch exists the mode after 2 minutes in any case. Sounds like you may have a faulty voltage sensor or something in the watch is internally shorting and running the battery down. Unfortunately, you don't really want to open the back to check the battery with a meter since it risks the O-ring.

Have you talked to your local Aqualung dealer about a warranty replacement?

FYI - the tank sensors are compatible with Oceanic and Shearwater computers as well. This is one reason I went with the i450T as the transmitter also works with the Perdix AI I just acquired for tech diving.

Thanks FlyingDiver. Thinking I may have a lemon. I replaced the battery with a fresh one two weeks ago. Did four training dives in a freshwater indoor diving training center here in Italy (without even using the tank transmitter-about 4 hours total submerged time at only 30 feet), and I'm at low battery. Anybody else seeing this?

I am wondering if the synch function via the USB drains the battery? Remember the first generation of digital cameras you had to synch with a computer via USB? Those used to drain the camera battery terribly.

Thoughts anybody? Getting concerned after the $1,200 I invested on this computer and the tank sensors.
I had a similar issue and the AquaLung rep agreed to replaced the computer with a new one. My sons and I all use the i450T so we have 3 of them in the family. Two worked just fine but the third computer had a dead battery after a couple of pool sessions before it ever went on an open water dive. My LDS initially replaced the battery just to make sure it was not a bad battery problem but within a week it was dead again. The LDS where I purchased the computers was very helpful. My LDS talked to the AquaLung rep and they agreed to replace it. Since then we've put about 10 dives on each computer and they have all worked well.

The only negatives I could dig up in my early research were related to "battery" issues. It would appear that a handful of these computers display weak or dead batteries when new or fairly new. A new battery is a short term or no fix it all. The only repair has been replacement.
The vast majority of these computers work without fault, as mine do. It would appear that if you are going to have issues it will happen shortly after unboxing. It also seems to be a fairly low volume with issues and those with issues have been dealt with professionally.
When I started looking around I checked many websites, magazines and dive shops as wells as trusted associates in the dive world. I came up with three reports of battery issues. (Maybe more now).
I really like these computers. If my battery/computer was dying that may change my view.

Hello Divers, Follow up to my comments on battery life on the AL i450T. Bottom Line: Outstanding support from my dive shops and Aqualung. To review, I bought the watch from a LDS in California, but I live in Vicenza Italy. The shop in California coordinated with Aqualung USA for Aqualung Italy to handle the warranty claim, and my LDS in Italy to allow me to drop the i450T in Italy for repair. My shop in Italy sent it over to Aqualung Italy, and they replaced the electronics and had it back to me in a week. So far it works like a champ.

Both shops and Aqualung agreed that once in a great while they get a glitch in the circuits. They replaced the internal components, tested the computer, and got it back to me. They all coordinated, and fixed it with no issues, no pushback (even though I lived in Europe), and very quickly. I'm an Aqualung advocate. Great support!

LDS in California. Sonoma Coast Divers. Rohnert Park, CA.
LDS in Italy, BluSub. Vicenza, Italy.

Do you really want to dive the PZ+ deco algotithm?
Wow, you say this like there is some serious problem with it!
I've been using it for about 1000 dives on my OC1. No issues.

Wow, you say this like there is some serious problem with it!
I've been using it for about 1000 dives on my OC1. No issues.

It had some kind of glitch in the circuit that drained the battery in two weeks, but AL took care of it. Good company.

Back
Top Bottom