Thelonghose.com Course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Some of the videos (sample not full course) shown are actually quite well done and very clear. Obviously one does not learn diving thru youtube but there can still be instructive videos to watch and get pointers.

Mike is an excellent instructor......you could do a lot worse.

Yes I know I just never heard of mucky muck. Sorry for taking thread off topic

Now you learned something new for the day :p

I just didn't see anything that would make me think that I would be getting anything the would benefit me more than taking an actual course where you practice skills under the tutelage of an instructor/mentor who can correct any mistakes you might make.

If it was something super whiz bang that enabled you to obtain all of the skills required without actually having to take a course it might be interesting. He seems like a fine instructor, and I'm sure taking an actual course with him would be great, but just like Steve Martin's sidemount videos, trying to learn without in-water supervision and direction, whether with an instructor or an adequately experienced mentor, doesn't really get you anything, no matter how much you practica. In fact, it could lead to issues based on a lack of understanding or execution.

The idea that practice makes perfect is bunk. Perfect practice makes perfect. Doesn't matter how much time you spend screwing it up, you're still screwing it up, and you're more likely to continue screwing it up in the future. An online course isn't going to to provide the requisite instruction. In fact, he mentions you need to go see an instructor for guidance, in which case why are you paying for the videos if you're going to go pay an instructor anyway.

I just didn't see anything that would make me think that I would be getting anything the would benefit me more than taking an actual course where you practice skills under the tutelage of an instructor/mentor who can correct any mistakes you might make.

If it was something super whiz bang that enabled you to obtain all of the skills required without actually having to take a course it might be interesting. He seems like a fine instructor, and I'm sure taking an actual course with him would be great, but just like Steve Martin's sidemount videos, trying to learn without in-water supervision and direction, whether with an instructor or an adequately experienced mentor, doesn't really get you anything, no matter how much you practica. In fact, it could lead to issues based on a lack of understanding or execution.

The idea that practice makes perfect is bunk. Perfect practice makes perfect. Doesn't matter how much time you spend screwing it up, you're still screwing it up, and you're more likely to continue screwing it up in the future. An online course isn't going to to provide the requisite instruction. In fact, he mentions you need to go see an instructor for guidance, in which case why are you paying for the videos if you're going to go pay an instructor anyway.
agree

I agree with practice makes perfect. Practicing a flawed technique will lead to you having perfected flawed technique! :D

You develop muscle memory from practicing and that perfectly flawed technique will now be ingrained in you which can be much more difficult to correct than learning how to properly do the technique from the start.

This goes for any technique such as shooting, yoga, scuba, etc.

I have seen Mike's students in the water. Very fine divers.
Note that some ISE protocols are quite different from those taught by other DIR agencies.

Can you give examples please?

As an example, to my knowledge, the ISE "valve procedure" is designed for a slightly different purpose and involves a different sequence of manipulations compared to e.g. GUE "valve drill".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom