More Delfins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rmorgan

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We're staying at the new Delfins in early March, and have a couple of questions. First, how is Lighthouse Point as a house reef? Is it actually part of the double reef? I've read that it was hard to access for a few years--are things in good shape? Second--a small thing--anybody know what kind of coffeemakers? I've read that they charge for extra capsules . . .

I have read mixed reviews on the Lighthouse Point reef. We will be staying at Delfins in 10 days(but who's counting:wink: I will let you know how things are. Also wondering about the coffee situation.

Thanks, Cowbells. Have a great trip--looking forward to your always-great reports! Diving Parrot, have a great time. First Bonaire adventure?

Yes. First time to Bonaire. Best walk in snorkeling I've seen is Roatan ( It inspired us to take up diving). The best diving we've seen so far is Cozumel. Interested to see how Bonaire compares. I'm sure we'll stand out as the older new divers by getting a guide for our first few shore dives, but hey, we are. Really looking forward to it.

The entry and exit into the water at Delfins is as easy as it gets. The have a small set of stairs down to the coral rubble and sand and then an easy walk into the water. I did my weight check dive there back in early December. It was a very nice dive. My wife did an additional 4 of her 5 Advanced Open Water dives there and all were good. We went back to dive there later in the week and were unable to dive it due to high surf and surge. We ended up driving north just a kilometer or so to Bachelor Beach and had no issues with surf or surge. Being near the point can make it very current and surge sensitive. Here is a picture of my wife at the top of the stairs. We were actually the first divers to use those new stairs. You will see behind her is a cabana/gazebo, where the other girl is standing. This is where you gear up. I believe there are rinse tanks there also. I say, I think, because we didn't use them. We walked with our gear on, back to our truck which was parked over by the Dive Friends fill station. We didn't stay at Delfins. We stayed at a villa on the water right near Bachelor Beach, but the Dive Friends shop and fill station at Delfins was the closest location to where we were staying. We did decide to have lunch out on the waterfront restaurant at Delfins when we couldn't make the dive there. The quality of the food was quite good, but pricey. It is a very gorgeous setting near the Lighthouse Point.

upload_2018-2-2_8-45-24.png

Thanks, Trailboss (and thanks to Mrs. Tb for the cameo, and congrats to her for the AOW!). I'm hoping that it will be good for night dives -- although we are certainly partial to Cliff because of the ease of using La Machaca as an exit cue, it'd be nice to have an alternative at the hotel. There's enough of a kitchenette that we won't be spending too much time at the restaurant, but we're looking forward to the location.

Thanks, Trailboss (and thanks to Mrs. Tb for the cameo, and congrats to her for the AOW!). I'm hoping that it will be good for night dives -- although we are certainly partial to Cliff because of the ease of using La Machaca as an exit cue, it'd be nice to have an alternative at the hotel. There's enough of a kitchenette that we won't be spending too much time at the restaurant, but we're looking forward to the location.
You will have a great time. I like night diving at Cliff as well. Our trip before this last one, we stayed at a villa directly in front of the Cliff Wall. Easy access in and out from the villa just 40-50 meters south of the Dive Friends Hamlet Oasis. I did 3 night dives and 4 dawn dives there. This past trip, we ended up doing a night dive at Something Special with a few other Scubaboard folks we met on that trip. It was my first ever dive there, but the others had done it many times and it is their "go to" night dive. I have to say that it truly was something special for a night dive. Super easy entry and exit and lots to see. Had a great encounter with this Octopus:
upload_2018-2-3_9-35-48.png

We've stayed at Hamlet 1 a couple of times--probably saw you! But we'll definitely spend an evening or two at Something Special--thanks for the advice. Nice shot of the octopus.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom