Trip Report Curacao Trip Report - Jan '18

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok. I think I fixed the problem. I uploaded on YT but did not finish the last step to publish. Pls let me know if you can view. Thanks. TK

Ok. I think I fixed the problem. I uploaded on YT but did not finish the last step to publish. Pls let me know if you can view. Thanks. TK

It works now, thanks!

Oh my, that’s a lot of fish!!!

@tkaelin
Thank you!
Very, very nice!

The water temp seemed to be up to debate. Our computers read 81 consistently. Other divers said the were seeing temps on their computers at 78. The DMs and folks at the diveshops complained that the water was cold but for them in the winter it probably feels cold if they are used to much warmer temps. I dove all week in light layers with the heaviest an old beat up 2 mil shorty and the lightest a long sleeve rash guard with a bare 1 mil hooded vest. I was never cold except on the dive at Cas Abou we felt a wall of cooler feeling water out on the reef at depth. For the locals the air temps were cold but for us mid 80s was warm and toasty feeling.

We just returned from Curacao diving January 28 through February 2. Our dive computers read a high of 80 degrees to a low of 76 degrees. Most were closer to the 80 degree mark. We wore 3 mils and were comfortable.

Video works now, thanks! Some thoughts from your report:

1.) You split your week between Westpunt staying at Allwest, and Lions Dive. IIRC, when heading to Curacao the main city Willemstad is toward the east, the best diving toward the west (e.g.: where Allwest is), the drive between the 2 is substantial, so people often have to choose between easy access to 'town' vs. the best diving. You're at least the 2nd person I've seen split their stay between 2 locations.

Whereas in Bonaire, most any west coast location is 'close enough' to Kralendijk.

What specifically were you seeking that made the move to the Lions Dive area worthwhile? Different diving, entertainments in town, seeing friends?

2.) You mentioned Andreas with Gowest left weights in your room so you could get a dive in sooner; nice! Does Curacao require the marine park orientation that Bonaire does? It'd be great if I could skip that and just go diving. Maybe the 1st time on-island, but after that, it's like a sale pitch for the dive op.

3.) The thing about fishermen cleaning fish thus drawing sea turtles...I wonder what else it draws? Does it bring in lots of morays? Wonder why not reef sharks? I ask because it's sea turtles I've read of being drawn in before, and now in your report.

By the way, excellent, practical report. If I were headed there soon, I'd print off a copy, highlight relevant highpoints & take it with me.

Richard.

Hi Drrich and thanks. As to your questions

1. The drive between westpunt and town is not all that great a distance. 45 mins maybe. We just wanted to see town, visit with friends and to try another place. The drive is comparable to say driving up to the park in Bon or from the east end of GC to the west end (Oceanfrontiers to Turtle Reef). Would not want to do it everyday but once in a week is not a big deal. If you are traveling with family non divers a full week out in westpunt may be a little too quiet. Depends on your interests.

2. There is no park pass or orientation like that required on Bon. Some ops though may suggest or require a quick shore dive check out dive before starting boat diving. I think lions dive and gowest suggest/recommend/or require this.

3. I know turtles are attracted and in abundance bc of the fishing activities. Can't speak to anything else. Did not see any sharks on either trip. Eels were in abundance but not in the immediate vicinity of the dock, at least not that we saw.

Awesome trip report @tkaelin!

To address, but not to defend, the Kura Hulanda Lodge... it is truly in a transition mode. They know that the service being provided needs to be improved and the TA reports posted in the lobby are more as a reminder to the staff and I think just being honest which is strangely refreshing. The fact is, investments are being made, ownership is changing but as all things are, it will take time for it to come back. The location, and the property are gorgeous but time will tell. GO WEST Diving, SOL Food, and many other businesses depend on the KHL to be healthy and busy... so there is a local economic priority also from that perspective.

Regards,
Bryan

Awesome trip report @tkaelin!

To address, but not to defend, the Kura Hulanda Lodge... it is truly in a transition mode. They know that the service being provided needs to be improved and the TA reports posted in the lobby are more as a reminder to the staff and I think just being honest which is strangely refreshing. The fact is, investments are being made, ownership is changing but as all things are, it will take time for it to come back. The location, and the property are gorgeous but time will tell. GO WEST Diving, SOL Food, and many other businesses depend on the KHL to be healthy and busy... so there is a local economic priority also from that perspective.

Regards,
Bryan
I have not stayed at the KHL but have dined at the property several times. I agree that the location and property are gorgeous. Unfortunately this resort has been plagued by poor, lackadaisical service for several years. Personally, I would hesitate booking a unit at that resort during peak season. Too many revisions, changes in ownership etc. to make me feel secure about a reservation being honored. I hope the current transition has more gravitas than the ones made in previous years. Shutting their doors would be a huge economic setback for Westpunt.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom