Need instructor for checkout OW dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

echopkb

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
We live in NE Tennessee and the water is too cold most of the year for my taste, and visibility is poor a lot in the local TVA lakes. Would like to do our checkout dives in the springs in Florida since we have relatives near Daytona. We have been doing sporadic pool sessions for almost a year and need to get over the "test anxiety" and get our certification. Anyone have any suggestions on where? Anyone want to help us get it done? We would fly down and stay 3-4 days.

Thanks for the kind words @TracysaCADiver! However, I'm about 2 1/2 to 3 hours out of Daytona! I'm surrounded by springs and hotels are cheap in this area. My classes are Fun, and I really focus on making your diving comfortable through developing superior control (Trim and Buoyancy). It takes 4 to 5 days for most people.

OP, what agency are you training with? This is fairly critical to finding an instructor.

There are plenty of dive shops in the Daytona area, which is not very near the bulk of the FL springs. :(

The checkout dives are not really an exam. They are a chance for you to show what you've learned in pool/confined-water, and are not really pass-fail either...you do it until you pass, in most cases.

Ponce de Leon springs is in Deland...close to Daytona, but the temps will be 72....brrrrrr

We are considering Ginny Springs or the blue grotto, and staying locally. Family would drive over to be with us. Our class is IDEA but the instructor has PADI and all the other alphabet certifications. I have been trying to sweet talk him into coming with us but no luck so far. He is willing to give a referral if he does not come with us.

As an FYI only, Loch Low Minn quarry near Cleveland TN isn't too bad. I hate quarries but I've dove this one a couple of times to test new gear and because the vis is decent, up to 40 feet but usually no worse than 20. The paddle fish are also pretty cool. It's cold, but it has a bunch of training platforms and has an on site dive shop. If you end up not making it to Florida, it's not a bad option that isn't too far away from you

My folks used to live on a TVA lake, I never dove it but it looked like vis was measured in inches rather than feet. Loch Low Minn is much better

Last edited:
Thanks for the kind words @TracysaCADiver! However, I'm about 2 1/2 to 3 hours out of Daytona! I'm surrounded by springs and hotels are cheap in this area. My classes are Fun, and I really focus on making your diving comfortable through developing superior control (Trim and Buoyancy). It takes 4 to 5 days for most people.
Ahhh... but I believe the OP said that they were looking to do their cert dives in the springs.. they are coming from Tennessee...

Our insructor mentioned that quarry and it is an option if the vis is good. I just want warmer water than the local lakes and good visibility.

Maybe it just me, but I just don’t see how diving in any of the named springs could be considered open water dives. I have made dives in many of the springs and see them all as confined water environments. I know some instructors do this, I just don’t get it. echopkb, it might serve you better to travel South from Daytona to West Palm or to the Keys to get a real open water experience. Like everything on SB, just one opinion.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom