Well okay, this was kinda scary..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When diving the America in the St. Lawrence River, you can have freighters go over you as the wreck is in the channel, and it is fairly narrow. It's a harrowing experience...

IMHO he was there to film the boat going over. he is holding a line tied to the bottom. he anticipated the currents caused by the ship passing over and only gets rolled a little. I have been diving in a channel and we heard a ship passing by, it was like the drum line to someplace state university in my ear. we surfaced and the ship was about a mile away. there is about no way to be surprised by a ship.

I dive in the St. Claire river all the time. The only wreck that is in the middle of the shipping lane is the Monarch and it is 60 ft. to the mud. You can hear the freighters a good 5 minutes before they are over top of you, so it isn't something that just sneaks up on you.

Had a tug go over us once on a deco dive. We were coming up from about 205 feet, making a direct ascent because the vis was so bad we couldn't find the upline. Got to 60 feet and were about to do our gas switch and deploy the SMB when we felt the deep thrum from the tug's propeller. We were far enough down we just did a couple extra minutes at 60 feet and then headed up to our next stop ... and deployed the bag once we could audibly tell the tug was moving away from us. Wasn't particularly scary, except to the boat crew who watched the tug run over our bubbles, and they didn't know how deep we were at the time.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

This video was taken in the mouth of the St. Clair river. The diver(i know him and his daughters well)used to use a rope and let the slack out so he could slap the bottom of the freighters going overhead. He is tied off to part of a wreck called the Fontana. It is extremely common to see freighters like this overhead (although i only know of 2 people to slap them)....and if you know the river well enough tou can position yourself to watch them.

I would not consider diving in the St.Clair River (I know where it is), or any place that features overhead tugs and freighters. But to each his/her own. When I am camping in the NY area on the river each summer and tell people I am a diver, they ask if I dive in the Hudson. Crap, even my brother asked me that once. Duh.......
I do fish there and eat my catch, which may be even more scary.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom