Need instructor for checkout OW dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maybe it just me, but I just don’t see how diving in any of the named springs could be considered open water dives.
And the PNW divers claim that Caribbean dives shouldn't be counted either.

The skills are the same. A competent instructor will be sure you're ready for the ocean.

Don’t agree with PNW divers or with the position that a confined water environment can be compared to an actual open water location. Skils are the same but conditions like wind driven waves, currents, surf entries, rocking boat and ladders, and less the idea viz/conditions are not. I’ve had a great number of divers aboard our dive boat who had no exposure to real OW conditions/situations and in most cases they expressed that the felt I’ll prepared to dive in real world conditions. Again JMO, but based on observations.

Don’t agree with PNW divers or with the position that a confined water environment can be compared to an actual open water location. Skils are the same but conditions like wind driven waves, currents, surf entries, rocking boat and ladders, and less the idea viz/conditions are not. I’ve had a great number of divers aboard our dive boat who had no exposure to real OW conditions/situations and in most cases they expressed that the felt I’ll prepared to dive in real world conditions. Again JMO, but based on observations.
And SOF doesn't prepare you for NC, which doesn't prepare you for NY/NJ, which doesn't prepare you for Scapa Flow, which doesn't prepare you for ice diving, which doesn't prepare you for....where does it stop?

Don’t agree
Which is your prerogative. I'm not a fan of parallel lessons. Learn to Scuba first. Get the trim and buoyancy under control first. Get that solid and you can dive pretty much anywhere. Sure, you might have to learn "how the locals do it" for any given area, but once you have the FUNdamentals down, they can be applied everywhere. However, trying to pin down the fundamentals and deal with surf/rocking boat/ yada yada yada, can often lead a new diver to confusion, frustration and quitting. No need to train so you can dive the Doria on your second OW dive. Taking baby steps is not only acceptable but should be encouraged. A competent instructor will challenge the student, as well as make sure that they understand, recognize and are willing to honor their personal limits.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom