Comparable to Aqua Lung Legend LX?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

poolecw

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I have been looking hard at the Legend LX but have heard about a failure on the ACD, so that has me a little cautious.

What other regs are comparable and in the sub $750 price range?

I've been out of SCUBA for 15 years and looking to gear up. By the way, what happened to Dacor? All my old stuff is Dacor!

deep 6 signature

hog d3/zenith

dive rite xt

apeks xtx50

if you don't mind a piston, mk25 evo/g260 or s620 or atomic b2/m1

dacor basically got shut down after mares bought them out.

Also Dacor is back regs gauges and bcd's

Look at the Scubapro MK17 - it's a diaphragm 1st stage. You can pair with G260, A700, S600 second stage for varying prices.

I have had over 100 dives on the Legend LX. It's a solid reg. I know many others on the boards use it as well, even for technical diving. The recall affects yoke only, so if you are getting DIN (not sure if you are) then it's not an issue at all. The recall only applies if you have not had an annual service or any other type of service. You can easily have your LDS double check that it is at the correct torque.

"Shutter valve in the ACD assembly not being tightened to the recommended torque setting. The shutter valve may work loose from the yoke retainer while trying to remove the first stage from a cylinder."

I'm not trying to minimize the issue - I am just ensuring that you and others are aware of what is actually affected and what is causing it. It's an easy fix and double check.

In my view the Legend is the best regulator you can buy. I have two, both over 5 yrs old, both dived hundreds of times and numerous times to over 300 ft.. Removed the first stage dust caps the day I bought them and never had a problem with the ACD.

I agree with njmorrell, but I would use the dust caps. Oceanic FDX10 is also a great reg.

There are plenty of excellent regs out there, and if I were to switch from the legend I use now, I would probably get a Scubapro. I have three aqualung regs with the acd thing and have never had a problem with any of them over several years and I am unfamiliar with any actual problems elsewhere. There was an Aqualung "recall" recently but it had nothing to do with the acd and dealt with a small batch of regs improperly assembled or something. I would not worry about the legend acd. and am not planning on replacing my reg. It is actually kind of comforting on those trips where the dive boat staff are doing tank switching and gear rinsing and so on. I switched to the aqualung regs from atomic.

Personally, I see no reason to look at regs other than apeks, aqualung or scubapro. I am sure those other brands work fine, though.

I agree with njmorrell, but I would use the dust caps. Oceanic FDX10 is also a great reg.
The issues with dust caps on ACD regulators are as follows:

1. For DIN regulators the dust cap fits completely over the ACD and does protect the threads when the regulator is in a dive bag. So useful for thread protection but not for keeping water out.

2. For yoke regulators it is possible to seat the dust cap incorrectly and when you tighten up the yoke bolt it can partially operate the ACD mechanism which lets water in. So not useful but also a potential problem.

The issues with dust caps on ACD regulators are as follows:

1. For DIN regulators the dust cap fits completely over the ACD and does protect the threads when the regulator is in a dive bag. So useful for thread protection but not for keeping water out.

2. For yoke regulators it is possible to seat the dust cap incorrectly and when you tighten up the yoke bolt it can partially operate the ACD mechanism which lets water in. So not useful but also a potential problem.

My understanding is that this could only happen if the dust cap was tightened to the extent it actually deformed. I also believe that some time ago, Al redesigned the dust caps and this is no longer an issue in any case. I would also assume that even when the old style cap was squished down so hard that it opened the acd, the dust cap still worked much like any dust cap would on any other reg.

I have also read that the acd is designed in such way that if were to fail, it fails in the open position, meaning that it no longer does what it is intended to, but does not impair the operation of the reg.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom