Adobe Photoshop vs Elements vs Lightroom?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes you can use an older PS or Older LR but if you ever get a new camera you will have to do the raw conversion some other way. I like Luminar a lot; but it has a steep learning curve. Of course there is always GIMP (free and mostly works).
Bill
I have Luminar and I like it too. There are, of course some things that it can't do (yet), but things like cataloging are supposedly coming in a later version. My "go to" though is still LightRoom 4.4. My Canon 6D is supported, but my Sony A6000 is not. The easiest way to use LR with my A6000, is to run everything through a DNG converter (it's a free download) and then import the images into LR. It's an extra step, but it beats having to pay a monthly fee.

Compared to say paying for the internet (at least here in Los Angeles) adobe is in the noise of monthly expenditures. I just wish I could get my cameras and housings updated that way.

Cheers
Bill

What happens if you don't pay the monthly fee? Does the software stop working or it just keep giving you a message to renew every time you start it?

If your Creative Cloud subscription expires and is not renewed, the software will stop working.

Do you need to be connected to the internet all of the time when using it?

You should be fine as long as you don't buy a new camera. My issue was a new camera and a new laptop. I had to get the converter program for the D500 and then convert each set before installing on LR 4.4. I couldn't update my old laptop, as Adobe doesn't service Windows 7 or Windows Vista, which is on my old laptop that I take on dive locations. I replaced the laptop with the latest/greatest with all the bells and whistles and then found out that 4.4 had no adjustment for font size and I had to up the font to 250% to read it. This also expanded the font on everything else. I downloaded 5.7, which worked on my new laptop, but they want the full current price for it and they don't update anymore if something changes. I ended up with the 19.95 package that includes a terrabyte of cloud space and both LR programs (classic and cc, plus PS cc.)

You should be fine as long as you don't buy a new camera. My issue was a new camera and a new laptop. I had to get the converter program for the D500 and then convert each set before installing on LR 4.4. I couldn't update my old laptop, as Adobe doesn't service Windows 7 or Windows Vista, which is on my old laptop that I take on dive locations. I replaced the laptop with the latest/greatest with all the bells and whistles and then found out that 4.4 had no adjustment for font size and I had to up the font to 250% to read it. This also expanded the font on everything else. I downloaded 5.7, which worked on my new laptop, but they want the full current price for it and they don't update anymore if something changes. I ended up with the 19.95 package that includes a terrabyte of cloud space and both LR programs (classic and cc, plus PS cc.)
I agree with what you said, and, I am using LR4.4 as well. For cameras I shoot a Canon 6D above the surface and a Sony A6000 underwater. The 6D is supported by LR4.4 but the A6000 was not so when I got the A6000 I had a problem. My options were to load and learn Capture One (that came with the A6000) to use the Sony and then use different programs depending on which camera I use or find a suitable work around. So far, the best workaround I have found was to download the Adobe DNG Converter. (It is a free download.) This does add an extra step to my workflow, but it is not a significant increase. It is basically a couple mouse clicks and then I wait while the converter does its thing. DNG files have some advantages, some disadvantages, and by converting to DNG, I have accepted that these are all part of what I am willing to accept in my effort to "future proof" my photo editing.

For now, this works for me. If I ever upgrade my camera again, will it still be my preferred option? I don't know. I have a copy of Luminar and based on what I have seen so far, I like it as a photo editor, but there are still some things that I like about Lightroom.

Last edited:
It's unreasonable to expect Adobe, or any other image software, to fully support raw files created by new cameras before they are even released. I expect any brand new camera to have a few weeks delay before LR is updated to support them.

The downside of DNG is that it isn't raw, so some of what you can do with raw files is negated. There are of course native raw converters from the camera manufacturers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom