Dive Rite XT Leak?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dove a brand new set of XT regs. Last week, and did not notice anything like you describe. And I split time between both 2nd stages so decent test of both.

I was certainly in a "head down" position several times, but not inverted or anything extreme.

Do some of the trouble shooting as described above.

Any chance these were stored in a really hot environment, like a car/trunk that might have hurt the 2nd stages in some way?

I dove a brand new set of XT regs. Last week, and did not notice anything like you describe. And I split time between both 2nd stages so decent test of both.

I was certainly in a "head down" position several times, but not inverted or anything extreme.

Do some of the trouble shooting as described above.

Any chance these were stored in a really hot environment, like a car/trunk that might have hurt the 2nd stages in some way?

I don't think so. It gets pretty hot here in Okinawa but I don't keep them in my car. I don't know how long but they were on display. Not sure if the little shop has AC. But I can't think on anything really.

I don't think so. It gets pretty hot here in Okinawa but I don't keep them in my car. I don't know how long but they were on display. Not sure if the little shop has AC. But I can't think on anything really.

How bad is the leak? Is it obviously salt water? The XT regs have been out for a couple years, so one would hope they had not been siting out exposed to UV light for too long.

I have a kid in Yokuska and the othe in Monterey. They both wanted to bring dive gear, but I brought up the storage issue. As we speak, a set of regs and BC are stowed in a car in Monterey. :(
I am planning a full overhaul on the regs as soon as she gets back in April.

Point being, Heat and UV exposure is bad for dive gear..

I own sever sets of XT regs. Never experienced anything like what you describe.

It did. Unfortunately.. That's very disappointing. It definitely allows enough water in to make me want to purge. At least one or twice a dive.

Just to be clear, when you suck on the 2nd stage with the dust cap installed on the 1st stage, you can not pull ANY air in at all? If you can, then you have a leak which should be fixable.

If you can't, then the only way water is getting in the 2nd stage is that it's leaking in around the exhaust valve when you exhale and the valve opens to allow your exhaled air out. Most regulators will allow a very small amount of water in this way, but it usually drains out the next time the exhaust valve opens and you're in a position such that the exhaust valve is near the low point in the regulator case. The problem occurs when you dive head-down, because then the mouthpiece flange is lower than the exhaust valve, and any excess water that has leaked in around the exhaust valve will drain into the mouthpiece flange (and hence your mouth). Does that sound like what's happening?

Regulators with big exhaust valves tend to have this problem more because they tend to leak more. One might ask, why would a regulator company build a reg with such a design flaw? Because the big exhaust valves lower test scores on the machines for overall WOB, and the salesmen can tout those meaningless numbers to sell the damn things.

I'm not really familiar with your particular reg, but if it were mine, I would try replacing the exhaust valve, and maybe even carefully cleaning and polishing the case exactly where the exhaust valve seals. That might slow the leak a bit.

DR XTs have been my main regs for a year and a half or so. I use them for diving doubles and sidemount (but not single tank), which has been that vast majority of my diving since I got them. I only notice them breathing a little wet when I swim on my back, facing up (which is pretty normal for most regs, I believe).

I believe halocline is exactly correct. In which case, a replace mushroom valve for the exhaust should be cheap and easy (and covered by warranty, I would think) to replace. That is assuming it's happening when you are in normal horizontal diving position (versus head down or face up).

If the regs were out on display, who knows what might have gotten on/in them to degrade the mushroom valves.

I have dove XT's since they came out and wet breathing is not a problem.If you are having wet breathing problems then there is something wrong. If you are on Okinawa we can take a look at them at the shop and see what the issue is if you like. Contact me at doug@reefencounters.org We are located near the seawall in Chatan.

I have dove XT's since they came out and wet breathing is not a problem.If you are having wet breathing problems then there is something wrong. If you are on Okinawa we can take a look at them at the shop and see what the issue is if you like. Contact me at doug@reefencounters.org We are located near the seawall in Chatan.

Say Hi to Adam for me next time you see him. Cheers.

Oh, hey Doug.. Yeah, I bought these regs off you haha

Please post your findings. TIA

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom