Transmitter Reliability

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bubbles McGee

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Inquiry about color screen AI computers that use wireless transmitters on the first stage.

I like the idea of having everything stripped down and having less gear hanging off me at any given time. It seems that from what I've read anyway, you should have an SPG in use as a backup while using a wireless transmitter, so what's the point? Why not just use a AI console computer or a wrist computer with an SPG?

The background behind this question stems from looking at the Shearwater Perdix AI which looks excellent, has had great feedback and is offered at a seemingly good price point . I have looked at Suunto, Scubapro, Mares and Oceanic products but the Shearwater has the best customer feedback and appears to have the best reviews.

The color screen console computers have less to choose from at the moment and one manufacturer has has some issues with it's product in spite of its other offerings being some of the best in the biz.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. I currently dive a Suunto Zoop Novo.

Last edited:
There are a ton of threads on ScubaBoard about this. It's not clear to me what your question is, but I'm sure you'll find the answer in gory detail already written down. In particular, look at https://www.scubaboard.com/community/threads/do-you-still-use-a-spg-with-a-ai-computer.552958.

Sorry if I was a bit vague. I want to know if there is a wireless computer with transmitter that anyone would feel comfortable diving without an SPG as a backup, and if they don't feel comfortable, why not just use a non AI computer with the SPG? Cost of the transmitter is unnecessary....

Sorry if I was a bit vague. I want to know if there is a wireless computer with transmitter that anyone would feel comfortable diving without an SPG as a backup, and if they don't feel comfortable, why not just use a non AI computer with the SPG? Cost of the transmitter is unnecessary....
I dive an SPG backup and have commented on it many times previously, please use search function

I have used hoseless Computers for years, presently using a Mares ICON, my wife an Aeris forgot model, I always change the battery no matter how good it is when I start a dive trip

Having it all on your wrist? I just got a Perdix AI with 2 transmitters for SM. Trying it out in the pool for the first time Saturday. Not having to look at SPG and just having it on my wrist is something I'm rather looking forward to!

Having it all on your wrist? I just got a Perdix AI with 2 transmitters for SM. Trying it out in the pool for the first time Saturday. Not having to look at SPG and just having it on my wrist is something I'm rather looking forward to!

I’d like to hear how it goes.

I dive rec and tech. Side mount and back mount doubles. I no longer have a physical SPG on any of my regs (except for button gauges). When I do tech dives, I use back mount doubles and I have 2 transmitters, one on each first stage, with no SPGs.

That is how confident I, personally, am in the Perdix AI setup.

Disclaimer: I have been diving just over 3 years and have less than 200 dives, so take my thoughts with a grain of salt, please!

Back
Top Bottom