Trimming SI Tech neck seal on D1 Drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiverDante

Registered
Reaction score
I bought a new D1 drysuit and it's great. The only issue I have is that the silicone neck seal feels way too tight - I feel like I'm choking when I put it on.

I've read how to trim the neck seal in the D1 instructions, but I have no idea how much to trim off. I definitely don't want to make the opening too large and end up having to buy another one, or having it leak on a dive.

So far, I don't see any instructions on how much to trim off, other than "trim until it fits". Is there a measurement guide somewhere, where I can measure my neck then trim the seal, say, 3 rings down, so I can do it right in the first place?

Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

So far, I don't see any instructions on how much to trim off, other than "trim until it fits". Is there a measurement guide somewhere, where I can measure my neck then trim the seal, say, 3 rings down, so I can do it right in the first place

The "measurement guide" IS "trim it until it fits" one ring at a time. Oh yeah, err on the side of what you believe is too tight.

And dont leave a sharp point anywhere, my first attempt was less than ideal, I used scissors and it left a pointy bit and when I tried to slip it on it tore, however I managed to rescue it as the tear was only small, so I cut back to the next ring, and ensured it was a smooth cut all round, by putting it onto a bottle which didnt stretch it and used a sharp blade.

For reference purposes if anybody see this thread again.

Use a fiscar circular cutting tool. Stick the neckseal on an al40. If you are careful, you can actually rotate the al40 keeping the tool in constant contact. This results in no cuts weakening the seal.

The advice i was given was to try and avoid cutting at all costs. Instead, try stretching it (by leaving it around a large tank, for example). That worked for me.

I trimmed my Silicon neck seal using shears one ring at a time until it fit. It fits. Don’t overthink it.

Back
Top Bottom