Proposed Special Management Zones for 13 New Jersey Artificial Reefs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

njdiver1

Contributor
Reaction score
NOAA Fisheries Seeks Comments on Proposed Special Management Zones for 13 New Jersey Artificial Reefs

Today, NOAA Fisheries published the proposed rule to designate 13 New Jersey artificial reef sites as special management zones. This action would:

Establish year-round special management zones for all 13 New Jersey artificial reefs; and

Allow only handline, rod and reel, or spear fishing (including the taking of fish by hand) in these areas.

Read the proposed rule as published in the Federal Register.

Federal Register :: Fisheries of the Northeastern United States; Special Management Zones for 13 New Jersey Artificial Reefs

We will be accepting public comment on this proposed rule through March 15, 2018.

You may submit comments through our online Federal eRulemaking Portal or by mailing your comments to Mike Pentony, Regional Administrator, NOAA Fisheries Greater Atlantic Region, 55 Great Republic Drive, Gloucester, MA 01930. Please mark the outside of the envelope, “Comments on New Jersey Special Management Zones Designation.”

Questions? Contact Jennifer Goebel, Regional Office, at 978-281-9175
NOAA Fisheries Greater Atlantic Region 978-281-9175, www.greateratlantic.fisheries.noaa.gov

I appreciate the map of the NEw Jersey sites, for seeing where the areas are, but the proposal is a bit unclear. It seems these are just user regulations, to prevent commercial fishing, to protect recreational use. They are not planning to build more physical artificial reefs?

Got it! I had no idea how large the area created is. What is your stand on the restriction of fishing? As a scuba diver, I’d tend to be a bit nervous if there were fishermen over head.

As the proposed rule is written, it only effects commercial fixed gear. Most of our reefs in Federal waters are beyond 60 ft. deep. With a dive boat anchored above, we have no worries.

Got it! I had no idea how large the area created is. What is your stand on the restriction of fishing? As a scuba diver, I’d tend to be a bit nervous if there were fishermen over head.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom