o-ring problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

funnyfish22

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
i recently bought a new 12L faber tank and the o-ring's just keep's falling out. i was told by one of my dive Buddy's that they changed the size of the o-ring's for 09. he said they are a bit skinner. when i asked the dive shop he said no. i hope some one can help me out.

i recently bought a new 12L faber tank and the o-ring's just keep's falling out. i was told by one of my dive Buddy's that they changed the size of the o-ring's for 09. he said they are a bit skinner. when i asked the dive shop he said no. i hope some one can help me out.

Repeat your problem to your LDS and ask them to replace the O rings. Given that the cost in materials & time is insignificant, they should do this for you without protest. If they don't, take your business elsewhere.

I'm sure the next shop would be happy to swap out the defective o rings for a pittance; they might even do it for free so you will patronize their store rather than crotchety dive shop you were formerly using.

JMHO,

What brand valve are you using?

Is it a straight yolk fitting or an "international valve" (ie) a valve with a removeable insert which enables the valve to be used for both yolk and din adapted regulators.?

Faber dos'nt make valves, but they DO sell valves made by San-o-Sub in Italy.There has been NO dimension changes in any of the San-o-Sub range of valves for 09 and no o-ring changes either.

San-o-Sub valves sold by Faber are not branded Faber mind, if you post a Pic of the valve I could tell you if its one of their models.

If its another brand of valve, well dimension changes are possible I guess, but unlikely, few manufacturers will just change these dimensions on an ad-hoc basis, theres just no reason.

I think you probably just have a few incorrectly sized o-rings. Swop a few around and check.

I know this is a really old thread, but I had the exact same problem with one of my Faber Blue Steel tanks... The answer seems to be metric o-ring 2mm X 10mm ID. (??)

The DIN-to-Yoke thread-in-adapter isn't machined for any standard o-ring....
The standard 014 yoke O-ring doesn't fit (ring is WAY too thin and diameters are all wrong)
"Standard DIN" 112 o-ring doesn't fit (ring is too large in diameter)
"Small DIN" 111 o-ring doesn't fit very well (Inside / outside OD is good but ring is too thick)

This issue resolved itself when I switched all my gear over to DIN.

gTlgSsk.jpg

Here is a link to the high-rez file if you really want to study this abortion-of-an-adapter...
:chairfight:
http://i.imgur.com/gTlgSsk.jpg

Last edited:
Years ago I ran into an issue with the Faber tanks branded with scubapro. The valves on the tanks had a different size o-ring than the standard o-ring used on all the other tanks I was used to, they would work sometimes but eventually failed. A shop tech sorted it out for me and I carried both sizes until I no longer had the tanks. Unfortunately I don't recall the size.

Bob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom