Ultramar and dive bags/tags

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Liability for theft is an issue.

Sometimes I can carry on a duffle, other times they have been insistent on checking it.

Seems rules, the interpretation and enforcement is very unpredictable.

Big smile, patient request and gracious attitude gets us far towards getting what we want... Beyond that, they make the rules.

In other words, after a few dozen trips and fairly fluent in Spanish I'm still equally puzzled.

Cameron

Speaking of those luggage tags, I learned the hard way to always get them. We did not and lo and behold our bags never made it to COZ. When our bags never came and we asked, the first question was where are your tags. We were never offered the tags so our bags never got on the ferry and were left on the dock at Playa. That was our first "bag drag" and since then have always taken photos of the bags and made sure those tags were attached to the bags.
We have never been asked by any of the three ferries about scuba gear.

Returned to PLD yesterday on an Ultra Mar ferry and was asked if
I had dive gear in my luggage. Don’t know what the outcome would
have been if I had said yes. It was in my carry on.
By the way, a rough crossing-several people barfing.

Never been asked but our bags do not look like dive bags. Are they still giving good deals on the ferry?

I would also agree Cenote xperience was great.

Just got back from my first trip to Cozumel; what an amazing place.

We used all three ferry companies during the trip, and on our last trip from Cozumel to PDC the attendants would not give us bag tickets if the bags had scuba gear in them. My Spanish is ok but not great, so I didn’t quite understand why they wouldn’t tag our bags. Sounded like maybe we were supposed to pay a separate fee, but I’m not certain.

On the way to the island a different ferry company tagged everything without any problems.

Would anyone know why Ultramar wouldn’t tag our dive items?

On an unrelated note, huge thanks to Tres Pelicanos and Cenote Xperience. What amazing companies they are.
I asked last week (Barcos Caribe). The reason is they think scuba gear is expensive and fragile so they don't want to be responsible. That said they tagged some of our scuba bags that were name brand bags and didn't some that were not so...

And suppose you get your bags back and discover your new regulator set is missing. Now you're in the awkward position of claiming dive gear is missing from a bag you already declared did not contain dive gear.

I bought all of my gear used in 1999. I rented it, loved it, and asked if it was for sale. BC, 1st and second stage with hoses, SPG, Dive timer... Best $400 I ever spent. Serviced every year. That being said I value it greatly but has little monetary value. I bet most crooks woulf look past it and look for shiny new rigs before my old crap. I do not trust the airlines either. I carry it on board just like the ferry. I carry my Reg, computer, lots of camera gear in my carry on bag. BC, Spear, Wet suit and fins go in the bag that gets checked. If you have anything of value don't check it.

Back
Top Bottom