Squeeze Chest, Breathless: New CPR Protocol.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"and the fireman teaching us says it is changing to “not expect public to give breaths”,"
Changed about four years ago IIRC. I recertify every 2-ish years as required, and around 4 years ago, maybe 5, we were being taught CPR with breathing--but told the new standards had already been written and would be making the breathing unnecessary. Which can be problematic because you have to do as you've been taught, for liability reasons, so if you are classed as "professional" or have been trained with breathing...you have to keep doing it that way. If you haven't been trained that way, then you SHOULDN'T be doing it that way.

Apparently if someone is not conscious, simply circulating the blood will oxygenate the brain "enough". Statistically? There's a 10-minute window for CPR. If started immediately, there's about a 100% chance or restarting the patient. That goes down by 10% per minute, so if you don't reach them and start CPR within five minutes, they are down to a 50% chance of being revived, with or without breathing. After ten minutes, the odds are they will need a miracle. Either way.

On the one hand, yes, I would like to know and do what is best. On the other hand, if you don't follow your certification training, you become very open to liability suits. Nice, isn't it?
Read posts 7,10, 12, 13, and 15 in this thread.
The training WITH breaths is readily available, and the for scuba purposes the breaths are necessary.

Is it possible to use a regulator to give breaths assuming you can seal the victim's mouth over it, close the nasal area and tilt the head to keep the airway open?

Is it possible to use a regulator to give breaths assuming you can seal the victim's mouth over it, close the nasal area and tilt the head to keep the airway open?
Possible, but not safe. Too easy to overfill the lungs. Same problem with the older manually-triggered ventilators; the new one have an over-pressure relief valve on them.

Thanks tursiops

My rule on a dive boat is no rescue breathing without the mask from my dive bag or another one.

"and the fireman teaching us says it is changing to “not expect public to give breaths”,"
Changed about four years ago IIRC. I recertify every 2-ish years as required, and around 4 years ago, maybe 5, we were being taught CPR with breathing--but told the new standards had already been written and would be making the breathing unnecessary. Which can be problematic because you have to do as you've been taught, for liability reasons, so if you are classed as "professional" or have been trained with breathing...you have to keep doing it that way. If you haven't been trained that way, then you SHOULDN'T be doing it that way.

Apparently if someone is not conscious, simply circulating the blood will oxygenate the brain "enough". Statistically? There's a 10-minute window for CPR. If started immediately, there's about a 100% chance or restarting the patient. That goes down by 10% per minute, so if you don't reach them and start CPR within five minutes, they are down to a 50% chance of being revived, with or without breathing. After ten minutes, the odds are they will need a miracle. Either way.

On the one hand, yes, I would like to know and do what is best. On the other hand, if you don't follow your certification training, you become very open to liability suits. Nice, isn't it?

So my best friend is a CRNA in the largest hearts OR in the state of Florida. She once told me that her experience in the operating room in more than 100 episodes where CPR was administered that only 1 time was the patient revived solely by the use of CPR. And of course it was administered by the best in the profession. If ems or another professional doesn't get on the scene pretty soon for some OTHER life saving tricks, CPR alone isn't going to do much.

I don't think we can say that the heart can be restarted 100% of the time, because of the various reasons that the heart stopped in the first place.

My rule on a dive boat is no rescue breathing without the mask from my dive bag or another one.
So are you truly saying you would let someone die if you couldn’t find a mask?

If you went OOA would you accept a prinary donate reg?

So are you truly saying you would let someone die if you couldn’t find a mask?

If you went OOA would you accept a prinary donate reg?
I carry a rescue mask so I know where one is. Primary donate reg won't puke back into my mouth and chances are I know the reg owner and what communicable diseases they have.

I carry a rescue mask so I know where one is. Primary donate reg won't puke back into my mouth and chances are I know the reg owner and what communicable diseases they have.
It’s a personal choice and you have to do what’s right for you. Fortunately almost none of us will actually be faced with this choice but if there someone dying at your feet you can’t locate your mask my hope is that you’ll jump in and do what needs to be done.

Back
Top Bottom