Is limited solo diving completely insane for a new diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@2airishuman , I honestly don't know how solo diving compares in risk with cave diving, but it's fine that you do. Anyway, I won't get into that, as there are loads of threads debating it, and as pointed out above, this is the solo diving forum.

As far as "requirements," to me it's no so much about requiring more of a novice in (solo) diving or any other analogous endeavor as it is about the individual realizing on his own that more training and experience is almost certainly better than less. If more training is available, I take it, even if I have to save up the money and delay starting or progress more slowly. As they say, "different strokes for different folks." It's not about collecting cards or passing scores for me, it's about vacuuming up all the knowledge I can in a limited amount of time. For me, getting someone--preferably, multiple people with different perspectives--to dump what they know on me is an efficient way to do that. My main point was that if solo training is available to the OP, I would advocate taking it, and based on what he learns, consider whether to raise the bar for himself (or more generally, where he should set the bar for himself).

Incidentally, I took motorcycle lessons--I don't know what my state requires, but I wouldn't attempt to figure it out myself or have some acquaintance who claims he knows what he's doing show me the ropes when there are schools for just that. I never did buy a motorcycle because I got married and my wife wouldn't hear of me riding a "donorcycle." In college I crammed extra classes into my schedule because they were available at no extra cost. I just love learning. Learning on my own is great but as a complement to what I can learn from others with real experience, including experience teaching the subject. Again, different strokes for different folks, I guess.

I just noticed this thread now so may have posted before. My very first dive after OW was solo in Vortex Spring on the FL panhandle. Couldn't find a buddy, though I was told I'd have no problem doing so. Dived the usual depth of 20-30 feet there, though I did go down the line to 54' at the "cavern" entrance. Then I didn't dive solo at all until after dive #75, when my buddy moved. Limited solo diving like mine to 30' max (usually, I have broken my rule of that maybe half dozen times) is pretty much glorified snorkeling. I've always figured it's actually safer than solo snorkeling down ("free diving" they call it now), since you actually have air in case of emergency (entanglement, which is probably my biggest concern). Of course, you're not supposed to swim alone either and I imagine many do that as well as snorkeling alone without giving it much thought (as did I for decades).

I suppose my reply would be "it depends". To the OP, I don't know you. I can tell you my experience, and please don't take this as permission.

I live in the Midwest. Not a ton of dedicated divers close to me. I made an agreement with a shop 100 (plus or minus) miles from me. I got jerked around in regards to my checkout dives (wanted to charge additional expenses to do checkout dives differing from what we agreed upon).

In short, I had 20+ solo dives before I was ever certified. My 20 some odd dives were all low vis "Midwest" dives (5-10 feet).

Now, I had done a TON of studying beforehand (years). In addition to being a spearfisherman and freediver of 14 years or so.

For ME, it was the best thing I could have done. But as they say, you don't know what you don't know. As I have progressed into deco diving, I have learned even more. And, ultimately, much of the tech stuff came easier due to the fact that I started out understanding that I had to take care of problems myself, and as they happen.

Does this mean "it" is right for you? I don't know. That depends on how much time and effort YOU are willing to put into it. I CAN tell you this....

If you aren't willing to put in the time and effort in...

#1. Learning the principles of what you are considering...

#2. The physics behind those principles..

#3. How to apply those principles and skills..

You may be headed for trouble.

There are many great folks on here with more experience than myself, and I would suggest listening to their wisdom. I bet it may have been hard earned.

Lobo

I did my first solo dive around dive 15 or so also at Porteau Cove. I dive shallow sites solo and once I grab a pony Ill feel OK going to rec depths solo. Vis is regularly crappy enough here that I feel a pony is MUCH safer than even a good buddy but thats another debate. Its my life so Id prefer it in completely my own hands before relying on others. Porteau is an easy entry fairly shallow site i personally dont think at 30 feet much can happen at that site that you cant make it to the surface. I wont do the Nakaya solo due to its 100' depth

Im always up for a dive though feel free to PM me

I had tech training last summer, so learned about self reliant diving and problem solving.
My solo dives so far are at the same location, 5 m deep, slow river, with crystal clear water, which I know as a back of my hand from some 30 odd years of swimming and snorkeling. What is different from "pure" rec, although that can be debated, is that I carry slung stage with me for redundancy. For me, it's not about pushing limits (deep, low viz etc.), but being under, just chilling out or doing skills. As soon as I get my hands on some doubles, I'll dive those, for even more redundancy and getting familiar with my gear, preparing for some "bigger" dives.

Many dive buddies are worthless. Keep yourself alive. You. Yourself.
Some dive buddies can actually save your life.
Think.

A well prepared solo dive can be safer than an unprepared buddy-on-paper dive.

I would love to give a definitive answer but unfortunately I cannot.

- One of the unexpected solo dive issues is that when you hurt your back (difficult exit?) then the 30ft crawl to your car can take a very very long time. I do know this...
- Inhaling water and getting a laryngospasm would be bad solo, too. Some buddies might be able to help though. Some.

New to the board, interesting discussion.

Size of redundant air should be determine for the dive at hand. I dive of a boat, up and down the anchor line for deeper dives and around the boat for reefs. Have been using a 30CF pony tank with regulator/gage, my SAC has been .40 for the last one hundred dives (average) low of .30 and high .49. I feel the 30CF is adequate.

Btw the reason for the solo diving has to do with Photography being my main objective. Difficult pairing up with anyone photographing. All photographers normally go solo, being self reliant needs to be a necessity.

Wow OP I can certainly relate! My first dive after OW was solo because I couldn't find a buddy - BUT - It was a very easy shore dive - max depth 20 ft and I was extra cautious.

Since then I have been in a few "same ocean(lake)" buddy dives but again, very shallow and very conservative.

I am a USMC veteran and former commercial fishing boat captain with a LOT of experience in and on the water so I don't think I am your typical newbie diver....

Sorry but your not ready, if you were you wouldn't have asked. sounds like your hoping someone with experience will say "sure go ahead you'll be grand" but thats not going to happen. keep diving every chance you get and a day will come when you'll head off on your own happy that you know you can and when that day comes nothing will stop you.

I’m glad someone else has this problem!! I’ve done lots of research and studying on diving and I run into a similar schedule problem as the OP. My background is in EMS and currently as a police officer so I constantly got back and forth with the mindset of “ I know I can do this, but it just sounds sketchy if I say it out loud”. Thanks to all you folks for the responses.

Back
Top Bottom