Diving from Cartagena, Colombia?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jaque88

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Has anybody here gone scuba diving from/off Cartagena? I'd appreciate any information: are there any good dive sites? Is the undersea environment healthy in that area? What dive operator would you recommend? How is the cost? Thank you.

Has anybody here gone scuba diving from/off Cartagena? I'd appreciate any information: are there any good dive sites? Is the undersea environment healthy in that area? What dive operator would you recommend? How is the cost? Thank you.
I dove there in 1995. Its been so long I can't remember what the diving was like.

Sam

I would also like to know more about diving in Columbia, more specifically around Cartagena.

I did my OWD certification there in September 2016 with La Tortuga; the instruction was OK but could have been a lot better. The diving itself, off the coast of Baru (an island near Cartagena), would not be worthwhile for fun dives but was OK for training dives. It had a lot of algae and lionfish and litle coral. I saw some barracudas and eels, but that was about it. I did my OWD certification there because I had other reasons to be in Cartagena, not for the diving itself.

More worthwhile for recreational diving was the Rosario Islands, which are about a one-hour ferry ride from Cartagena. The operator was Diving Planet, which has an office in the old city of Cartagena. Diving in the Rosario Islands was an improvement over Baru, enough to justify the one-hour ferry ride each way. You can do two tanks each day, plus a night dive if you stay on the islands overnight. Still, in retrospect, even the Rosario Islands were not impressive enough to go to Cartagena specifically to dive there, but if you have other reasons to be in Cartagena anyway, as I did, then they are definitely worthwhile.

Back
Top Bottom