Ni’ihau in April

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fistgar

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
It looks like April/May is when people start heading back out to Ni’ihau for diving. I’m going to be in Kauai April 10-19 and have gotten “permission” from my wife to spend two days scuba diving (she gets upset that I tend to spend most of our vacations underwater). What are your opinions on Ni’ihau trips this early in the season? I’m happy with any diving really and am looking for a good dive outfit. I have never done shore diving due to being solo (wife is not a diver) and have always ended up on boat dives as the third wheel. From what I’ve read there are a LOT of shore diving sites in Kauai! I’ll be in Kapaa so I’m able to get to anyplace on the island relatively easily. What should I have on my “must dive” list that I can do during my two days of diving?

First of all....stoked you are coming to the island! There are many options for great operators here and I'm sure you'll have a great experience. I've worked for just about everyone on the island in the last 19 years at one point or another and I am lucky to know most of the DM's here on the island. While I am with Bubbles Below Scuba currently, I'm happy to help with any questions you may have about any of the operators and/or put you in touch with anyone you may be curious about or have questions for.

April is generally the kickoff time for Niihau and Lehua diving. More accurately, the kickoff is simply as soon as the last of the huge north swells leave for the season. Bubbles Below does go year round when conditions permit. The other operations that cross to Niihau include Explore Kauai Scuba and Seasport Divers and Fathom Five. Conditions during the time of your visit may very well dictate which operator you are best suited to cross with. There are several different options for boats as well as passengers that they take. The closest boat leaves from Kekaha, while the furthest trips leave from Poipu. When it is rough, it can be nice to shorten a "sometimes" memorable if not "brutal for some" crossing. Big winds in particular do not make for optimal crossings. If you have excellent sea legs and have done rough water crossings/trips before - this may not be as much of an issue. One of the reasons Niihau is so amazing is after all - you can't always get there. Minimal diver impact and presence does play into the wow factor of Niihau. As far as the diving in April, you do have a chance at seeing Humpbacks over there during that time which is simply amazing. It is the end of the season - but late season Mom's are often around still with their calf for example. The monk seal activity is sometimes limited in April as they often haven't returned to Lehua rock and the northern parts of Niihau just yet. That's not to say you won't see them, but it's not as likely as mid summer.

Shore diving is actually pretty limited on Kauai. The southern end of the island (Poipu/Koloa) has an awesome - awesome - awesome critter dive! It's shallow and relatively protected and boasts some rare critters and countless turtles! Vis is generally good and access is easy. The name of the site is Koloa Landing. While there is a dive on the north shore called tunnels, it is primarily a topography dive with lava tubes. If you love tubes and topography it is pretty cool. At the same time - you should be aware that vis' is typically quite low compared to any other dive you will do on Kauai. Many people love it, but to be fair and open - I hear a lot of divers discouraged about how poor vis can be. The backdrop for the dive is breathtakingly beautiful and the beach is quite nice. Snorkeling can be quite nice as well.

Depending on where you choose to dive here are a couple of the signature dives for Kauai....

1. Hale O' Honu (House of the Turtles) - Simply the most turtle intensive dive on the island! It's in the 15-50ft range and typically has whitetip reef sharks and at least 1 if not more Frogfish. You can count of Endemic Bandit Angels and also beautiful Hawaiian Lionfish (the good kind). Additionally, it's your best chance on the island to see the critically endangered Hawksbill Turtle!

2. Sheraton Caverns - Lava Tubes and Turtles. Probably the best known site on the island. While it can get quite crowded at times, it is a really terrific dive. Two adjoining lava tubes with large skylights allowing for plenty of ambient light inside. Lots of turtles and inverts on this site. It is shallow as well, with the max being around 65ft if you head outside to see octo's hiding in the rubble. Large Puffers are also common here.

There are certainly numerous other great critters on these sites as well. The shallow nature sure gives you plenty of bang for the buck as you will get long bottom times.

Feel free to send me a personal message if you like with any specific questions. I'm sure you'll get other helpful responses from some of the other awesome dive professionals here as well!

Good luck planning and have a wonderful weekend
A

Thank you so much for your informative post! I’m even more excited than ever to dive Kauai and I hope that the swells are not there during my visit! Regardless, the spots you’ve mentioned all sound amazing! I will be looking at your Bubbles Below Scuba outfit!

I'm pretty sure AK works for Fathom Five and not Bubbles Below. He's just self-less in promoting Kauai diving. If you can't make the Ni'ihau crossing - Fast Lanes was another good dive. If you do dive Sheraton Caverns bring a light and shine it on the overhead sections - yup might get an octopus to move. Also a camera as you can often get real close to huge sleeping turtles there..

They'd (FF) be my goto for the Tunnels shore dive if the northshore is open by then also.It or Koloa Land ding are probably the two best shore dives.

Thank you so much for your informative post! I’m even more excited than ever to dive Kauai! I hope that the swells take a break in April so that I have an opportunity to dive Ni’hau! I’ll check out the other dive ops as well but the dive operators that are active and enthusiastic about diving in their area are the kind of people that I want to dive with. Taking the time to give me so much information speaks volumes as well! April can’t get here fast enough...

I'm pretty sure AK works for Fathom Five and not Bubbles Below. He's just self-less in promoting Kauai diving. If you can't make the Ni'ihau crossing - Fast Lanes was another good dive. If you do dive Sheraton Caverns bring a light and shine it on the overhead sections - yup might get an octopus to move. Also a camera as you can often get real close to huge sleeping turtles there..

They'd (FF) be my goto for the Tunnels shore dive if the northshore is open by then also.It or Koloa Land ding are probably the two best shore dives.

Very kind words. Thank you.
I am in fact now over with Bubbles Below and a very exciting opportunity with new ownership.

Thank you so much for your informative post! I’m even more excited than ever to dive Kauai! I hope that the swells take a break in April so that I have an opportunity to dive Ni’hau! I’ll check out the other dive ops as well but the dive operators that are active and enthusiastic about diving in their area are the kind of people that I want to dive with. Taking the time to give me so much information speaks volumes as well! April can’t get here fast enough...

Super Happy to help out with anything I can above or below water. Crazy rains here right now.....but I'm sure Spring time will be wonderful. Just let me know how I can help.

Aloha
A

Do you have any weather predictions for the end of April diving in Kauai? We won't be getting there until the 28th of April?

Thanks,
Thom

I wish I had an idea on weather that far out but Niihau is a week to week kinda thing. I would say that late April is actually a better time than right now. In April and May the north swells are typically phasing out for the year (at least the big ones). The northern swells play a big part in the dive conditions over at Niihau and really factor in to boats making the trip or not. May is usually when all the boats begin the regular schedule for trips across the channel to Niihau. I think you'll have a good chance at making the trip as long as a late season big north swell is present during your stay. Sorry I can't be of more help with this question. If I can provide any other diving / vacation help please feel free to send me a message.

Hope you have a great week. Aloha
A

Back
Top Bottom