Info Cam Buckle Assembly Instructions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Does it have a 2" webbing band like a BP/W? Can you post a photo?
After post it, I just realized that I dont have to dissassembly the plate from jacket (They sewn the plate to jacket so impossible to dissassembly), and it was easy to release the cam buckle from Seaquest balance

Amazing that this is done incorrectly on so many of the BCD's that I buy 2nd hand. I know this is an old post, but I refer to it everytime when the straps seem wonky.

Great info and diagramming for CAM strap routing! I recently needed to swap my upper cam to the port side to accommodate placing my Quickdraw pony mount. Seems like whenever I fully unthread a cam buckle that it takes some extra "thought" to get it threaded back correctly..

Don't know if they all do this, but on my Zeagles, the cams have a routing "map" with arrows on the side of the buckle so you always have "map" that with you.... Lastly, .......having TWO cam straps is most definitely added safety and peace of mind.......and very important as a solo diver.

One last thing I'm not sure has been mentioned in this thread yet is that if possible...... I always dip or "wet" my cam straps before the final clamp down.

ykFd6Mx.jpg

fxqwPOb.jpg

Don't know if they all do this, but on my Zeagles, the cams have a routing "map" with arrows on the side of the buckle so you always have "map" that with you....
Don’t know if others do, as I only have Zeagles at the house. Comes in handy.

I do a slight modification on my BCs, though. A previous instructor showed it to me, and I adopted it. I just skip the last step. Instead of routing the strap through that final slot near the tip, I leave it under the cam. This way, when I mount the tank to the BC, with wet straps like you suggested, I can pull the strap a bit to get it tight. Then I secure the strap with the Velcro. Then flip the cam down. Gets the strap good and tight.

A couple cautions. It can be more difficult to lock down the cam as you don’t have extra leverage with the strap. Also, you do need to pay attention when locking the cam to be sure there are no fingers that can get caught.

Releasing is the same, just pull on the strap and it will open the cam.

Set up my new DGX plate and used these instructions last night, easy enough and holds nice and secure. Out of curiosity, I checked DGX's instructions on this (video only) and they appear to be different routing.

Is there any reason they'd recommend a different routing?

Edit to add - I was wrong, the routing is the same, the DGX video just flips the view around part way thru and I got confused... Thanks to @inquis for pointing that out!

Don’t know if others do, as I only have Zeagles at the house. Comes in handy.

I do a slight modification on my BCs, though. A previous instructor showed it to me, and I adopted it. I just skip the last step. Instead of routing the strap through that final slot near the tip, I leave it under the cam. This way, when I mount the tank to the BC, with wet straps like you suggested, I can pull the strap a bit to get it tight. Then I secure the strap with the Velcro. Then flip the cam down. Gets the strap good and tight.

A couple cautions. It can be more difficult to lock down the cam as you don’t have extra leverage with the strap. Also, you do need to pay attention when locking the cam to be sure there are no fingers that can get caught.

yes that is the right way. The DGX video is not the right way if you want to get it really secure. If you use only one size tank, it helps a lot to wet the strap, put it on the tank tightly and then leave it on the tank for several days. The strap should take a good set from that.

yes that is the right way. The DGX video is not the right way if you want to get it really secure.
Interesting. Apart from that instructor I mentioned, I've only ever seen bands threaded that way if I did the threading. Every other one does the last step, which can sometimes leave a little slack.
If you use only one size tank, it helps a lot to wet the strap, put it on the tank tightly and then leave it on the tank for several days. The strap should take a good set from that.
Yep. I used to switch between 8" and 7.25" diameter tanks, but now all 7.25". That was the first thing I did. Get the bands good and wet, tighten and secure to a tank, then leave them for a while.

I actually do a slight modification of your modification. Prior to that "last" step through the tip of the buckle you can cinch tight...then tweak the cam about half way for it to hold in position while you complete the last step. The advantage of completing that last step is that in a confined space / restriction etc....it reduces the chance of cam buckle catching on anything and being opened.

I actually do a slight modification of your modification. Prior to that "last" step through the tip of the buckle you can cinch tight...then tweak the cam about half way for it to hold in position while you complete the last step. The advantage of completing that last step is that in a confined space / restriction etc....it reduces the chance of cam buckle catching on anything and being opened.
Yeah I think a better explaination is to not do the last slot, tighten as much as possible and then close the cam to the point past where the maximum cam leverage point is, and THEN run through the final slot. I’m lazy and often skip the last step.

Back
Top Bottom