Philippines aorund new year 2018/2019

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

El Nido is actually not that hard to get too. (If the timing worked out, even faster then Sabang/Puerto Galera) AirSwift- http://air-swift.com/ runs multiple flights daily from MNL and CRK. Granted, it would be a bit more expensive then getting to Anilao or Puerto Galera via public transportation, one way tickets are in the 6 - 7000php range. However, after coming all the way to the Philippines from Italy, whats a few hundred bucks. The alternative is to fly into Puerto Princesa and take a 5 hour van ride. I've done that, and the 1 hour AirSwift ride better suits me a lot better.

El Nido is more secluded, and truly a beautiful and relaxing little town to kick back in. White sand beaches, crystal blue water and unique rock formations. There is no party night life, it's more of a backpacker type of environment with a few little bars with live acoustic music and restaurants grilling fish on the beach at night. There are day time jungle activities and you can also rent a motorbike to cruise around the area. The diving is top notch. It's romantic. It is not that expensive.

I've dove with Submariner Diving Center, they did a great job.

Right now it is getting busier, busier and as more people find out about it, it will even get more busy. Hopefully not on the level as Puerto Galera or Boracay, but I don't hold my breath.

We would love to have you here in Subic, but we are more suitable for those into wrecks.

Let us know what you decide and even better, how the trip went!

Thanks for your advices. Sogod Bay looks amazing, but maybe too long to get there. Doing them both may also be another option, and could also help to split the (long) travel.

10 days, 3 places :gas:

El Nido is actually not that hard to get too. (If the timing worked out, even faster then Sabang/Puerto Galera) AirSwift- http://air-swift.com/ runs multiple flights daily from MNL and CRK. Granted, it would be a bit more expensive then getting to Anilao or Puerto Galera via public transportation, one way tickets are in the 6 - 7000php range. However, after coming all the way to the Philippines from Italy, whats a few hundred bucks. The alternative is to fly into Puerto Princesa and take a 5 hour van ride. I've done that, and the 1 hour AirSwift ride better suits me a lot better.

El Nido is more secluded, and truly a beautiful and relaxing little town to kick back in. White sand beaches, crystal blue water and unique rock formations. There is no party night life, it's more of a backpacker type of environment with a few little bars with live acoustic music and restaurants grilling fish on the beach at night. There are day time jungle activities and you can also rent a motorbike to cruise around the area. The diving is top notch. It's romantic. It is not that expensive.

I've dove with Submariner Diving Center, they did a great job.

Right now it is getting busier, busier and as more people find out about it, it will even get more busy. Hopefully not on the level as Puerto Galera or Boracay, but I don't hold my breath.

We would love to have you here in Subic, but we are more suitable for those into wrecks.

Let us know what you decide and even better, how the trip went!

Thanks. I love wrecks, but we have many here in Italy, so when I go abroad I prefer to feed my macro side :)

Thanks for your advices. Sogod Bay looks amazing, but maybe too long to get there. Doing them both may also be another option, and could also help to split the (long) travel.
If you fly into Cebu on your international flight , you can catch one of two daily fast ferries to a port town far nearer Sogod Bay than Tacloban. At that time of year ther is an extremely good chance to see whale sharks in Southern Leyte , the reefs are in excellent shape with lots of fish and the macro is also very very good.

1. Book well ahead including flight. Christmas is the PEAK season.
2. Anilao is the place for macro.
3. Enough posts about the place on SB for you to digest.
4. Anilao + PG will give your more varieties in diving. Go to PG first and then Anilao afterward. There is no water to cross if weather turns nasty. Typhoon on Boxing Day is not a myth!
5. No domestic flight so you can really maximize your diving time.
6. Sogod Bay is excellent but you need two days to get there and back to Manila.

Thanks again. I'll look for the PG + Anilao combination. Maybe arriving, going to PG for 4-5 nights, then coming back to Anilao for another 4 nights before coming back to Italy.

Thanks again. I'll look for the PG + Anilao combination. Maybe arriving, going to PG for 4-5 nights, then coming back to Anilao for another 4 nights before coming back to Italy.
Another option---fly from Manila to Dumaguete and stay in Dauin and have a mix of both worlds--macro and reefs. Good macro diving in the areas in front of Dauin and day trips out to Apo Island for the reefs. A good choice of resorts there from small intimate resorts to your more posh styles. The macro diving isn't on the level of Anilao but it's good and Apo Island is great diving for reefs. I much preferred it in Dauin over Puerto Galera (Sabang) which I found kinda seedy to be nice but that's just me. A lot to do around Dumaguete and if you're like me you'll enjoy the town of Dauin--it's a real small town with a lot of local vibe and no tourist feel to it. If you want a little city life just take a trike (tuk tuk) into the city of Dumaguete for malls and good restaurants. I stayed at Mike's Beach Resort there twice for a week at a time and would have stayed there much longer if I had the chance--small resort with only eight rooms, pool, restaurant and a beach--a few minutes walk will get you to other resorts and options for eating if you like. Check out their website for options on what else to do in the area. Or read their reviews on TripAdvisor it's almost all divers who stay at Mike's. Whatever you choose I know you'll enjoy your time in the Philippines

Just a bit more about Dauin diving--the macro diving off the coast of Dauin is very easy--only one drift dive and it wasn't much of a current. All dives are off large banka boats which are very large and comfortable. No worries about how many divers needed to take the banka out---I dived by myself (early December 2017) the first three days I was there--no problem going out with just me. They will also take you out for a afternoon dive. Apo Island has a few places with strong currents but just let them know you don't like currents--no problem. Loved Apo Island! They do have Nitrox for about 300 pesos per tank ($6 usd) and great guides which you'll find pretty much everywhere in the Philippines. Weather that time of year can be a bit iffy. Had two weeks of great weather in Dauin and Bohol--lots of sun, no rain or wind (mid December).
MICR0715.jpg
MICR0767.jpg
MICR0632.jpg
Three weeks later I went to Puerto Galera and had five days of rain and clouds and wind with reduced visibility--just the luck of the draw there. The year before we got blown out of the water in Puerto Galera by a typhoon the day after Christmas--which doesn't happen that often in Galera. Just a few pics muck diving in front of Dauin.

Kindly consider a visit to Scandi Divers, we are based in Big La Laguna, Puerto Galera. We have rooms right on the waterfront and have access to around 40 dive sites including some amazing muck dives.
Please have a look at our website at www.scandidivers.com
If you have any questions I will be happy to assist you at salesmanager@scandidivers.com

Have a great day and thanks for your interest in coming to the Philippines, we are sure you will love the culture here.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom