Wing or Jacket for 5'1" female ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Flycaster

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am working on getting my wife back into diving.
I have upgraded myself to a DSS wing system BC and really like it.
I have read a few places where the ladies didn't like the rear inflatable wings and prefer a jacket.
We both didn't like the strangling feeling from a jacket type BC but at 5"1" is there any advantage or disadvantage I'm not seeing in getting her hooked up with a back plate and wing setup?

plenty of female friends that height that dive short dss plates and never hear any complaints. Key is obviously to get the short ones, and make sure she uses the crotch strap. If she doesn't like the straight webbing ones, which a lot of divers don't especially if using without wetsuits, Dive Rite makes a 2" padded crotch strap with stiffer webbing that is more comfortable to "sit" on

Wife is 5'-2", and dives a DSS Short Pattern SS. The one thing I did on her rig that she really prefers is I rigged it with a Zeagle Split Saddle crotch strap. To do it, I used a smaller sized slider for the rear attachment (duh, it has smaller webbing), and two of these with split rings to make the front attachment on the waist strap:
upload_2018-2-24_8-47-15.png

What is DSS? Sorry I don’t always get the acronyms and an interested in this discussion, thanks!

What did Tobin do with the LCD30 wing??
I see a 17, 20, and 40.
Is the 30 gone and not manufactured any longer??

Back
Top Bottom