Adding Shoulder Pad into Deluxe Harness with QR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You almost have to build it without, get it tweaked, then mark it, take it apart, and put it back together again...

You can fold the neoprene over it self to get the correct length if necessary. Primary question is why do you want them? I have them on my harness for CCR/Doubles and I can't really tell it's there, as long as I'm wearing some sort of wetsuit. If you are in a rash guard only, they might be helpful.

I've never liked the QR harnesses because the buckle is above the d-ring... never made sense to me. It puts it right on the collar bone (which is where you would want the extra padding). I would think having it under the d-ring and chest strap would be better all around.

-Chris

because the buckle is above the d-ring...

:fear: Well, that changes things..... Not sure at all how you would implement shoulder pads. I'm using them on the deluxe harness (non-qr). Transplate has the QR buckles below the rings too....

You can fold the neoprene over it self to get the correct length if necessary. Primary question is why do you want them? I have them on my harness for CCR/Doubles and I can't really tell it's there, as long as I'm wearing some sort of wetsuit. If you are in a rash guard only, they might be helpful.

I've never liked the QR harnesses because the buckle is above the d-ring... never made sense to me. It puts it right on the collar bone (which is where you would want the extra padding). I would think having it under the d-ring and chest strap would be better all around.

-Chris

Yes, rash guard is the main reason I wanted the shoulder sleeves.

Regarding the buckle position, for my size, I think, It would fall a bit below my collar bone and it’s a two piece harness right? Can’t you get it adjusted so that the qr buckle falls where you want it to be? And add d rings where you wanted them to be?

I have a DR plate and wing with the standard hogarthian harness. when I bought it last season I purchased the DR neoprene shoulder pads as well. Basically they are just thin neoprene sewn/glued into tubes. They are slipped over the webbing on rig assembly. I find that mine bunch up and offer absolutely no padding when out of the water. The only reason I have not removed them is that I don't want to cut them because of the price I paid for them, and I don't want to unthread my harness. I would recommend not wasting money or time on them, but ymmv.

-Z

I have a DR plate and wing with the standard hogarthian harness. when I bought it last season I purchased the DR neoprene shoulder pads as well. Basically they are just thin neoprene sewn/glued into tubes. They are slipped over the webbing on rig assembly. I find that mine bunch up and offer absolutely no padding when out of the water. The only reason I have not removed them is that I don't want to cut them because of the price I paid for them, and I don't want to unthread my harness. I would recommend not wasting money or time on them, but ymmv.

-Z
Thank you for your honest opinion, I’ve got the QR version and loving it!

Thank you for your honest opinion, I’ve got the QR version and loving it!

I am super happy with my setup as well...except I don't think the shoulder pads were a good value. I think I paid $18 or $20 for what constitutes about $2-$3 of neoprene and they don't really do anything. Find someone or a shop that is discarding an old wetsuit and make your own....that way if you don't like them you won't have much issue just cutting them off and tossing them.

-Z

Yes, rash guard is the main reason I wanted the shoulder sleeves.

Regarding the buckle position, for my size, I think, It would fall a bit below my collar bone and it’s a two piece harness right? Can’t you get it adjusted so that the qr buckle falls where you want it to be? And add d rings where you wanted them to be?

It is a two piece harness, but the left side d-ring is integrated into the female end of the buckle (sewn into the same loop, not a single piece), no adjustment options available. If you put the d-ring in the right spot, the QR is pretty much right on your collarbone. If you are deadest on a QR, get the non-QR version, and add the appropriate sized QR buckle to the portion under the chest strap.

-Chris

It is a two piece harness, but the left side d-ring is integrated into the female end of the buckle (sewn into the same loop, not a single piece), no adjustment options available. If you put the d-ring in the right spot, the QR is pretty much right on your collarbone. If you are deadest on a QR, get the non-QR version, and add the appropriate sized QR buckle to the portion under the chest strap.

-Chris
I've actually purchased the QR version and I'm actually very happy I got the QR version, suits my purpose.

Back
Top Bottom