Hi from Sacramento(ish), CA!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

finnagain

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Just got my Open Water certification last weekend! It was a blast! Hoping to come across some potential dive buddies so I don't let this fall by the wayside... I definitely want to keep this going!

Just got my Open Water certification last weekend! It was a blast! Hoping to come across some potential dive buddies so I don't let this fall by the wayside... I definitely want to keep this going!

Yo finnagain... I was just in Monterey myself, getting some ocean experience this weekend. Had a blast!

Welcome to the board... and to a lifestyle that is also rather addicting, and can get expensive.

Currently I live in a town on the Sacramento River Delta that is about 1/2 hour south of Sacramento. So I'm local, somewhat to you.

Welcome to the board @finnagain!
There’s a lot of good diving in Northern California. If you ever want to explore areas north of the Golden Gate, consider joining the group from Seal’s Water Sports in Santa Rosa for one of their fun beach dives on the Sonoma coast.
You can see their schedule at www.sealswatersports.com

Jennifer who works there goes out and hand feeds starving abalone with kelp found on the beach. It’s a great thing to be a steward and give back. We can use all the help we can get.

Yo finnagain... I was just in Monterey myself, getting some ocean experience this weekend. Had a blast!

Welcome to the board... and to a lifestyle that is also rather addicting, and can get expensive.

Currently I live in a town on the Sacramento River Delta that is about 1/2 hour south of Sacramento. So I'm local, somewhat to you.

Thanks! Yeah I'm finding the $$ to be pretty daunting haha, I'm so excited though! And nervous! Were you diving at Breakwater last weekend? Have you been to any of the other dive sites in Monterey? How have you gone about meeting other divers in the area?

Welcome to the board @finnagain!
There’s a lot of good diving in Northern California. If you ever want to explore areas north of the Golden Gate, consider joining the group from Seal’s Water Sports in Santa Rosa for one of their fun beach dives on the Sonoma coast.
You can see their schedule at www.sealswatersports.com

Jennifer who works there goes out and hand feeds starving abalone with kelp found on the beach. It’s a great thing to be a steward and give back. We can use all the help we can get.

That sounds great! I'd love to dive anywhere on the coast here! Can't afford tropical trips right now so it's my only hope! Are those abalone feedings pretty beginner-friendly dives? Would I need to find a dive buddy to bring along or do other single divers show up to pair off with? My boyfriend has recently developed a taste for sea urchin and has been bugging me about catching him some when I dive so it'd be a treat for him too haha.

Thanks! Yeah I'm finding the $$ to be pretty daunting haha, I'm so excited though! And nervous! Were you diving at Breakwater last weekend? Have you been to any of the other dive sites in Monterey? How have you gone about meeting other divers in the area?

Yes, I was.. I was with a group from Dolphin Scuba Center from Sacramento. I was with the group that was around the Tables near the grass area.

These dives for me though were to get some ocean experience, as I had already went through the certification process. I got certified at the Local Mud Puddle in Folsom that they call Folsom Lake. :rofl3:

I am not too familiar with the other locations, but there is a location on this board here that is more specific to the Norcal area.

You can look it up - it's in the specific region area here.

Here's a link to help you find it: NorCal

Last edited:
That sounds great! I'd love to dive anywhere on the coast here! Can't afford tropical trips right now so it's my only hope! Are those abalone feedings pretty beginner-friendly dives? Would I need to find a dive buddy to bring along or do other single divers show up to pair off with? My boyfriend has recently developed a taste for sea urchin and has been bugging me about catching him some when I dive so it'd be a treat for him too haha.
Yes they are very beginner friendly.
They are shop fun dives so tailored for new divers. There is always someone to buddy up with, that’s part of the reason for these fun dives, to get new divers in the water and to meet new dive buddies. We make sure everyone who needs a buddy has one, nobody gets left out. The spot is Stillwater Cove Park in Sonoma Co.
The beach is very calm, very easy entry/exit. Bring your fishing licenses and a big game bag. Part of the concept is to take a limit of urchins to help reduce populations and allow new kelp to grow. The reason the abalone are starving is because the urchins are eating all the new forming kelp and leaving everything bare. This is great diving with a purpose!
We hope to see you guys there :)

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom