Renting a car and driving in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dogbowl

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Just wondering about the overall experience of renting a car and driving in Cozumel. We’ve always stayed in town, walking distance to the dive shop and restaurants. I’m curious about renting a car and driving for our next trip, so we could maybe stay further out. Is it more hassle than good? How’s the driving and parking situation?

Last edited:
Just wondering about the overall experience of renting a car and driving in Cozumel. We’ve always stayed in town, walking distance to the dive shop and restaurants. I’m curious about renting a car and driving for our next trip, so we could maybe live further out. Is it more hassle than good? How’s the driving and parking situation?
driving should not be a problem at all just fallow the law

We only rent when we want to go and investigate...like the tequila farm :wink:....we stay pretty far south of town and mostly cab it though...the cops can be a PITA at times too!

My buddy got pulled over and after a few do not understand words exchanged, he just started walking away from the rental and told the cop to keep the car...the cop called him loco and told him he can go....
Lol

I rode a bicycle around here for about two decades before getting a car this year. So I learned about the sort of things to watch for to keep me alive. There's "rules of the road" and then there are Cozumel rules of the road. If you fail to drive like a local, even if you are following the rules of the road, you may well cause an accident. If you behave like everyone is trying to kill you or themselves, then you may well not be in an accident. But if there is an accident, the tourist will nearly always be considered at fault. Watch out for scooters because they do crazy things...tourist and locals alike. I nearly wiped out two young tourist girls on a scooter the other day when they swerved in front of me from my right hand side in order to make a left hand turn. No signal. No shoulder check. No glance in the mirror. My only clue was that I saw their scooter wobble a bit so I took my foot off the gas to see what was their problem. That is probably what saved them a trip to the ER.

We often rent for a week if staying at southern AI, and for a day or two if staying closer to town. Here are a few tips:

- get as much insurance as possible
- no insurance covers everything
- DWI invalidates your insurance
- Mexico is napoleonic law, guilty until proven innocent
- if in an accident, expect to be taken to police station (if not hospital first)
- if you're at fault (if other party is local, count on it) you'll stay there until they have been compensated.
- traffic signs are in Spanish, of course. Know enough to know what they mean.
- there are few 4-way stops, there is a pattern used in town where one direction yields, the other doesn't.
- stop signs are treated like yield signs, typically.
- don't expect other vehicles to give you much clearance, if they miss you by 2 inches... they missed you.
- scooters "lane-split", driving alongside or passing you even where you'd think there is only room for one car.
- don't take offense if honked at, horns are used often
- don't park next to a red curb even if everyone else is doing it
- if your license plate goes missing, go to police station and pay your ticket to get it back

Okay! Some of what was said above scared the living daylights out of me. So, I'm going to follow-up with, does anybody know of a trusted cab driver that they can recommend in Coz or just pick one off the street and hope for the best?

I've heard Coz cab horror stories, but my experiences have been honest & polite (and mostly very nice). Nothing wrong in asking the fare before you get in if you are so inclined. You can save on fares if you pay in pesos. I would only rent a car if necessary for a day excursion. If I was AI down south, I wouldn't expect to be downtown much (I would be there to AI relax and be close to dive sites). I would just cab it to town when necessary. If I'm staying in town, I walk or cab as they are plentiful and relatively inexpensive. Negotiating the traffic in town is not my cup of tea on a vacation. It would be the opposite of fun & relaxing. :) All IMHO, YMMV.

If you're looking for a taxi to take you around the island and stay with you, ask here or on Cozumel 4 You facebook forum and you'll get personal recommendations and their phone numbers. For just getting around town, well you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a taxi so we just pick one off the street. Here are some taxi tips.

- rate charts and zones are available, though not always easy to read
- there is a small extra charge for calling a taxi or ones waiting at stands
- rates are per cab not per person
- ask or confirm rate with driver before getting in
- taxi drivers almost never have change (it's a ploy)
- pay in pesos, you'll get a horrible exchange rate for dollars
- most drivers are quiet and polite

I find car rentals in mexico to be very expensive, mainly bc you can not skimp on the insurance, which more than often doubles the cost of the rental. DO NOT SKIMP on insurance. Also, if you only need it one day, dont rent the entire week. Of if you are just running to town once or twice, it's cheaper still to take a cab.

The worst part of having a car is if you want to go downtown, or actually most places—no parking.

Dave

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom