1.4 Teleconvertor use?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Compressor

ScubaBoard Supporter
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hello:

Has anyone placed a 1.4x teleconvertor on Nikon's 10.5mm lens as suggested by Underwater Photo Guide website? Here is a quote from the website: "

"Nikon 10.5mm fisheye lens

• A great choice for WA, not as flexible as tokina 10-17mm, but primes generally have slightly better IQ (image quality).; Made for cropped sensor only, although the lens will work with a full-frame camera. Can be used with a 1.4x teleconverter for close-focus shots that are not so wide, the same as using the tokina 10-17mm at 15mm."
I am not sure why anyone would do that short of not having to buy an extra port, lens or port extender.

You would need a port extended. The Tokina 10-17 is a great lens. It has an extremely close focus that allows for some really interesting shots. I have the 1.4 and have contemplated using it with the Nikon 105 macro which converts it to a 155 or so. I have a variety of port extenders so I could do it. I have just not gotten around to trying it.

Thank you PatW. I have the Nikon 14-24 mm lens; my understanding is that the corners are not that sharp at f/11 and below (f5.6). I am debating plucking down about 600 for the Tokina versus getting a port for the 14-24. For now, I'm staying put until I figure it out.

We should all win the lottery and solve our UW gear acquisition issues once and for all.:)

What body are you using?

The 16-35/4 is better for underwater than the 14-24. I’ve got a Nikon 20/2.8D which also did well with a large dome and no extension. The Sigma Art 20/1.4 is a lens I’d like to try.

I’ve used a 1.4 Tele with my Sigma 15mm FE with really good results. Needs a 20mm extension for Nauticam.

(All on Nikon FX bodies)

My body is a D500.
Thanks for the advice James.

On DX you can’t go wrong with the Tokina 10-17 and small dome - 100 works fine in my experience. Add a much less expensive DX wide zoom if you want a rectilinear lens.

I wouldn’t even consider a 14-24, 16-35, or Sigma 20mm 1.4.

I've repeatedly had that Nikkor 105mm lens reccomended to me. If I ever pony up for a nikon housing, it'll be the lens I grab for UW.

Yes; hearing all sorts of good things about the Tokina. Need to save for one.

I've repeatedly had that Nikkor 105mm lens reccomended to me. If I ever pony up for a nikon housing, it'll be the lens I grab for UW.
I have the 10.5. And yes its a very nice lens. But its too wide too often.

When you shoot underwater, especially with a fisheye, you have to get closer then even closer (without smashing your dome or port into the critter or reef) :)

Back
Top Bottom