Colorado to Marathon ... 2 weeks with our boat.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Where2Next

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello, We are going on a road trip adventure in May!

We are draggin' our 20 ft powerboat, 2 dogs, dive gear, UW Photo equipment, and other misc junk required for a tropical getaway down to Marathon. We have a house on the water for 2 weeks with a dock and are all set with lodging, as well as a basic road map for the drive.

We are coming from lake boating to open water. I'm thinking there is stuff we don't even know we don't know about boating/diving in the area. I looked for a local diving guide/map and the most recent one I can find is on Amazon and is really old. With Irma I imagine some stuff has changed, where do you suggest I find the best info on dive spots and current conditions? Also boating rules for the area for no go spots, etc. Just wondering if you have any advice, resources, etc for some first time boaters/divers to the area.

I have this romantic vision of going out on the boat diving in the morning, stopping at a sand bar to have cocktails and lunch. Maybe fish for dinner in the afternoon. Sounds good!

Any advice you can provide is much appreciated!

And so is advice about towing a 20 foot power boat thousands of miles. Another first for us!

that sounds like quite adventure...can't really answer any of your questions but i can wish you luck and hope to follow your excursions...good luck and god speed...enjoy.

Thanks! We might be crazy ... Let you know in June!

Take plenty of spare trailer tires in the correct size. I'm always amazed at how fast you can tear up a trailer tire.
Florida Keys National Marine Sanctuary Regulations
This will get you started on places to go, not go, and where you can fish and how. Your best bets that time of year are to get out in the Gulf Stream and catch a nice Mahi. There are too many gotchas to fish in the sanctuary, although it can be done.

Don't forget to get a fishing license.

I'm definitely no expert on boating in and around the Keys, but I have rented 20-24' boats each time I've been down to Islamorada (5 times now I think?) The waters in some areas can definitely be tricky to navigate-- there are many, many shallow areas where you'll run aground, and the channels are often very narrow. Even well away from the beach there are shallow spots that can be risky at low tide.

Definitely brush up on channel markers and how they work, if you're unfamiliar. I'm guessing lakes don't have many channels, but they're probably going to be the only way to get to and from where you'll be going.

Before I went out the first time, I bought a set of NOAA charts for the area and carefully studied the areas I'd be traveling. They show pretty much everything you'd need to know about. You can also view them online for free, here's the chart of the waters surrounding Marathon: Chart 11453 A marine charting GPS is also very helpful, I wouldn't have been very comfortable without one.

Also, Florida Fish & Wildlife don't seem like the types who screw around. Poke around this website a bit and make sure you have an acceptable boating license/safety certificate, the required equipment, and definitely note the sections about manatee and seagrass awareness: Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission - Boating in Florida

The waters in the Keys truly are beautiful. I've spent entire days just cruising around taking in everything they have to offer. Definitely a bit tricky for me, but also definitely worth the effort. You'll have a great time.

Excellent advice Wookie and atmerritt!

We do have an additional rim and tire for the trailer - figured we could change and then find a tire shop to repair in expectation for the next. We also purchased a depth finder, although I am wishing we had spent the extra $$ for the GPS map one. Is phone signal an option on the waterways there?

Fishing license on the radar! Thanks for the reminder.

Hubby says we should hit up Cuba lol - crazy man! Gulf stream makes me a tad nervous in a 20ft boat - might stick close to the keys this time around. I guess we'll see what the weather has in store and play it by ear.

Thought about going to Dry Tortuga one day but then did a math calculation on gas and decided there would be no room on the boat for people with all the gas cans, ha! Running out of gas has never been something we worry about on the lakes.

I 'm going to check out all your links tonight, thanks for those! Great suggestion on the channel markers, had not thought of that.

Yes to cell service. I have navigated a boat with my wife’s iPhone using inavX. I mean a 100 foot commercial dive boat. It’s a cheap app with free charts. Nice to have on the iPad, but I use the phone too.

No. Dry Tortugas is a 30 foot boat 100 gallon trip, and you have to be prepared for 20 foot seas. It’s no place for a tenderfoot.

Get the bearings on the trailer re lubed before you go. (And have them check the tires).

We do have an additional rim and tire for the trailer - figured we could change and then find a tire shop to repair in expectation for the next.
How many wheels on each side of the trailer? I'd get that many per side, ie, if two wheels on a side, carry two spares- minimum. Reason is, whatever flattens the first one will likely flatten the one behind it; now you're stuck until you get one tire into a town to be fixed if you only have one spare. That may not be easy on a evening or weekend.

I would also think about getting another wheel for the truck. Same reason, and if your truck is disabled, you can't just get a tow truck with a boat attached.

Extra lubricants and coolant for the truck.
A full shop/ trained expert checkout wouldn't hurt.
Do you have a trailer lock?

I would invest in a good boating safety course focused on the ocean, I'm sure Wookie could recommend one, and there could be a Coast Guard Auxiliary near you as well. The local Coast Guard station (Islamorada, IIRC) may be able to help as well. They may be willing to help by inspecting your boat too. Ask Wookie, he probably knows the most of anyone on this board about that area.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom