What an IED might look like

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lemme see if I got this right.....your ticked because a business owner who LIVES and does business on the island...has the backbone to DARE provide factual information regarding the situation of which he has/is directly involved in?

An individual who stands even MORE SO...to be directly affected by the situation, and will probably cost his business money?...but yet has the integrity to provide first hand knowledge of the ongoing events in the interests of the customers he services before his personal gains?

Thats great..just great....I sincerely hope that at LEAST 17 of your customers read this thread directly...it's obvious that as a customer service provider you have THEY'RE best interests at heart....*cough cough*

Dave...keep up the great work...I have nothing but respect and trust for you as an individual and business owner based on the information dissemination I have seen you engaged in over the last several years. Your a great asset to scuba and appreciate integrity over profits. Thankyou.

Bubs

Thanks for sharing. Not that most of us are able to put the information to direct use. In my opinion the better communications are on the topic the better off we all are. I think sharing what you know shows integrity on your part and benefits everyone.

Obviously you guys are in a tough spot. Some folks seem upset that you would share any detail at all. Others (such as me) are slightly comforted by information dissemination.

Thanks again.

I won’t change anyone’s mind or even pretend to be able to - I’m not that powerful
Trying to interject a little humor, Christie you COULD change my mind if you tried hard enough! I'll bet I'm not alone.

Also, I appreciate this discussion. I do have to agree that a little better explanation in the original post could have minimized anxiety experienced by some.

Cheers -

Wasn't Dave called a liar in one of these threads for NOT posting the pics? Now he does and get blasted for creating fake hype.

Dave and Aldora always seem to have a bigger target on their backs than most other operators when it comes to this site. His skin is thick and business solid so it does not seem to bother him much. Just goes to show, no matter what you do...your never going to please everybody. Knowing his Capitan found the first device, I was relatively sure that pic was the first device that the navy detonated prior to the ferry explosion. But I have read all of the threads.

Anyone that thinks that "just fireworks" are not dangerous, needs to research sparkler bombs.

I'll keep riding the ferry, even Barcos if they give me the local rate, and will keep diving Aldora too. Thanks Dave for the post. Interesting pic. Drink a Bohemia Obscura for me!

Jay

First Dave for your post. This was in Mexico City News yesterday and gives an interesting take on this. and you do not need to deal with google translation . Homemade bomb was cause of ferry explosion in Playa del Carmen
This is the best news to someone, like me, who still has reservations:

“Meanwhile, new security measures went into effect today.

The Federal Police announced in a statement that 60 tactical personnel have been deployed to mount a security operation in Quintana Roo, concentrating on the ferry terminals in Cozumel and Playa del Carmen.

The officers, accompanied by a canine unit trained in the detection of firearms, explosives and drugs, will conduct inspections of terminal buildings and vessels.

The state government announced it will invest 50 million pesos (US $2.68 million) to install new security equipment at the two terminals during the next two weeks.”

I would think the $2.68M would be better spent putting a bounty on the group/cartel behind this.

Thanks for posting Dave, ignore the haters.

Book your trips direct and no Ferry worries! Duh!

How did you all miss this one?

When is an IED not an IED?
What is this?
Christi?
Dave?
Chief?

Floating object causes alarm

COZUMEL, March 12 .- A somewhat amorphous physiognomy device sighted in the sea, near a cruise ship dock, was a reason for the deployment of security forces, thinking that it was a bomb.
Around 06:30 hours on Monday, elements of the Secretariat of Armed Navy of Mexico, Federal Police, and the Attorney General of the State, received the report indicating that near the dock for SSA cruises of Mexico, an artifact was floating unknown.
Thinking that it could be a bomb for what happened a few weeks ago, an operation was immediately started in this high-altitude maritime terminal, arriving ships from the military Naval Sector, with elements to analyze the package found.
Hours later, the state government announced that it was not a bomb, but that the suspect object could actually have something to do with an experiment related to oceanographic monitoring.
This device had some components with cables, and floated on a base of unicel, it had a sensor and a bag around it, but in the end the authorities involved in the operation did not classify it as a bomb.
The revision of the device was carried out by elements of the military Naval Sector, who in the end determined that there was no danger, for which reason it was defined as a false alarm.
Around 10:00 in the morning two fast boats of the Secretary of the Navy were traveling in a straight line in the vicinity of what is known as "half cantile" between Cozumel and Playa del Carmen, apparently making a type of revision to the coast .

Book your trips direct and no Ferry worries! Duh!
As long as you're not on the dock or the next boat over when the ferry goes up...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom