DPV and Dive Flags

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The flag is 15x13 so it's sized fine for MA, but they have a really tall projection requirement. Isn't it 3'? It's been a hot minute since I've dove up there and it's always been with family on a boat, but I think it has to be at least 3ft off the water which is nuts.

you could probably use it with a heavier weight and a longer stick, but would probably need like 8lbs instead of 2 to keep it upright

Wouldn't tip sideways also in addition to length wise?

Wouldn't tip sideways also in addition to length wise?

it shouldn't be able to pitch over because the line is attached to the front of the buoy. It's rollover that's the problem. As long as the moment down below is bigger than the moment created by the flag, it will self-right itself. That said, if it self rights itself from rollover, it certainly can't pitch over since it is rotation about the same plane

it shouldn't be able to pitch over because the line is attached to the front of the buoy. It's rollover that's the problem. As long as the moment down below is bigger than the moment created by the flag, it will self-right itself. That said, if it self rights itself from rollover, it certainly can't pitch over since it is rotation about the same plane

Just to make sure that I am convey the correct message:

Pitch: Tipping over from back to front or front to back.

Roll: turning upside down by turning left or right.

With the above definitions:

I am talking about rolling over to the right or left and ending up upside down with flag in water.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-RxIsthdL0OQ/UfKisSe_wEI/AAAAAAAAAtE/yaCKblb8WdE/s1600/pitch_roll_heave.jpg

I use a 4 foot pole on my f&f; it rolls a fair bit but it doesn't roll over, which is rather the salient point. A thin plastic pole weighs very little, and the flag even less.

Dano’s float is a modern updated adaption and a darn good one of the California Classic Burnside Buoy aka Lifeguard Float designed and developed by Bob Burnside, an early LA Co UW Instructor and a LA Co Life guard . It was designed specifically for the SoCal life guards as a rescue can, in it's original life guard configuration it had a strap arrangement that the rescuer slung over his shoulder and towed the can behind him. Perhaps some of you recall Hasselhoff and all the red suited life guards in Bay Watch ? All used the Burnside buoys

The Burnside unit was years in developing and has repeatedly been proven to be very reliable and adaptable: as preferred lifeguard device though out the US and the world amd became universally known as the "Burnside Buoy"--- which might have been it's official name

It was soon discovered by LA County So Cal scuba instructors and the local dive charter boat owners as a rescue device and spearfishermen as a float and flag base for terminal gear in California and international spear fishing .

Now Dano has adapted it as the premier float for a dive flag for both spear fishing and SCUBA diving.

It is one of those bullet proof rugged items that is a one time investment that can be used thought the life of a diver and then be passed on to future generations.

A few years ago Bob Burnside produced a super buoy which was about a third longer which gave additional floatation capabilities but was equality awkward to use and never gained popularity with the tribe.

All this began in the 1960s and 1970s when PADI was a cardboard box setting on Nic Icorns desk in a small office in Costa Mesa, California . Therefore, you will possibly be exposed to very little on the history of subject in earlier or possibly current PADI publications.

Bob is no longer with us and is rescuing in the great reef in the sky. I also suspect his company was sold and or the patents expired and some other company is producing the cans.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dano, I also commend you for the correct size of your dive flag-- So many manufactures consider a dive flag as anything red with a white stripe.

Not So ! ..Its original configuration as established and agreed upon in the developmental stages by the national diving community was to be 5 units wide X 4 Units high X a 1 unit diagonal stripe, later changed to a square configuration for ease of production. Now individual states are creating their own interpretation of the configuration of the dive flag- what next ? a change in color?

Some day, some one with be injured fling what is representative of a dive flag with out the correct proportions or correct color and and some sharp attorney will declare it a red & white rag .

FYI...... I have been known as an "expert witness " since 1957.....surprisingly the first case was a shooting death with a spear gun..the defense declared a spear gun was a toy --it was proven other wise.

My milestone case was in 1962 when a diver who was displaying a then 5 year old divers flag was struck by a boat and injured. I was called as the only expert witness, certainly an awesome responsibility but we prevailed and the red and white flag was identified in a California court of law as a recognized flag of diving activity

As an ex Captain USAF, Korean war I salute you with 21 guns for your support of veterans.-- They certainly deserve more than they are receiving.

My friend Keep up the good work

Sam Miller, III

Why go to the hassle of towing the float around just plonk a little offshore from your entry point and retrieve it when you come in. No point in towing the flag all around with you as you dive.

Why go to the hassle of towing the float around just plonk a little offshore from your entry point and retrieve it when you come in. No point in towing the flag all around with you as you dive.
one reason is a drift dive. another reason is that in MA you are to remain within 100ft of your flag.

@Tassi Devil Diver
In certain localities with in the US displaying a divers flag is required by state law or local ordinances. Not properly displaying a prescribed dives flag at the required height would be a violation and if cited would possibly result a citation and a hefty fine $$$

As I stated in my 2 part 6 page article on the aforementioned 1962 (56 years ago) litigation "Flying the divers flag is no assurance that you will not encounter a boat, but if encounter displaying the red and white divers flag is good insurance that you have legal protection and recourse in a court of law"

@mmerriman
I just read your profile-- You were born the same year the divers flag came into the underwater world .

I commend you on your efforts to promote the red & white diver flag via your products, patches decals and a "socking cap" as I often refer to thus type of head covering- My Canadian born wife has another name for it.

I would order and proudly wear one of your caps but in Kalifornia I would only wear it once or twice a year.

This raises the question "What have the readers who complain so loudly done to educate the boaters and general public about the red & white diver flag "

Have you made presentations to boating clubs ?
Have you made presentations to civic clubs ?
Have you made presentations to service clubs ?
Have you created Dive Flag posters and posted them at marinas ?
Do you have small business cards to distribute to explain the purpose of the red & white dive flag ?

I suspect the universal answer is NOTHING !

@mmerriman You are on the right track I commend you for your efforts

SDM

@Tassi Devil Diver
In certain localities with in the US displaying a divers flag is required by state law or local ordinances. Not properly displaying a prescribed dives flag at the required height would be a violation and if cited would possibly result a citation and a hefty fine $$$

As I stated in my 2 part 6 page article on the aforementioned 1962 (56 years ago) litigation "Flying the divers flag is no assurance that you will not encounter a boat, but if encounter displaying the red and white divers flag is good insurance that you have legal protection and recourse in a court of law"

@mmerriman
I just read your profile-- You were born the same year the divers flag came into the underwater world .

I commend you on your efforts to promote the red & white diver flag via your products, patches decals and a "socking cap" as I often refer to thus type of head covering- My Canadian born wife has another name for it.

I would order and proudly wear one of your caps but in Kalifornia I would only wear it once or twice a year.

This raises the question "What have the readers who complain so loudly done to educate the boaters and general public about the red & white diver flag "

Have you made presentations to boating clubs ?
Have you made presentations to civic clubs ?
Have you made presentations to service clubs ?
Have you created Dive Flag posters and posted them at marinas ?
Do you have small business cards to distribute to explain the purpose of the red & white dive flag ?

I suspect the universal answer is NOTHING !

@mmerriman You are on the right track I commend you for your efforts

SDM
you need one of my baseball caps then.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom