Thinking about a new wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diesel_Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
First off , yes I know temperature and protection are a personal preference thing.
I was reading a review online about the “ newer” BARE wetsuit with “ celiant” technology. It actually made the claim that their 5 mm one piece is just as warm as the leading two piece 7 mm . Looking at their temperature chart on their website seems to say the same thing.
So does anyone have any real world experience with this ?
I guess my big thing is I can’t help but wonder, if that’s the case, there would be a significant buoyancy difference?

Edit my cold water diving is low to mid 50’s

In those temps I would not bother with a wetsuit. Drysuit or not dive.

As @Jim Lapenta said, wetsuit isn't an option in these temperatures at all!!

Not interested in a dry suit . Been using an older one I picked up used and I am fine with the temps. Just looking to replace it.

I can't say about the BARE but my girlfriend got a Pinnacle with a Titanium lining and swears it's really warm. To me it sounds like snake oil, but I have not tried it personally. Her's is only a 3mm and she was wearing it in water as low as about 58 F (with a hood and booties, of course).

I've been diving in the low to mid 50s most of my life in a 1/4" farmer john (Rubatex) and although I never became hypo-thermic, something a little warmer would be nice.

I have a bare farmer John with 14mils on my core I bought it in 2013 I dove in water that was in the low 40's for over 45 minutes my core was fine my fingers were lobster red after the dive from the cold but since getting my drysuit I dive dry till the water gets above 65 I feel less restricted in the wetsuit

I have the Bare Evoke, female version of the Reactive. I’ve done multiple Great Lakes and quarry dives in my 5mm down to the mid-50s. Even a few times to high 40s. I was fine. But then I’m something of a polar bear n

Here's the thing that makes me laugh about Bare's claim. They say it converts body heat into infrared energy. Um...body heat is infrared energy. So it converts body heat to body heat. :shakehead: When I see such obviously nonsensical marketing claims, it instantly makes me run away.

Regardless of what you think about the Celiant fabric in the lining, it's a good suit. 5 and 7mm have separate seals at the wrists and ankles, with 11" ankle zippers on those two models. The neoprene is very stretchy, with the suit very comfortable as a result.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom