Belize Livaboard Aggressor 1V Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I hope this isn't the case. I'm going in May. While I don't expect to dive solo, my understanding is they put crew in the water, but my buddy and I can dive our own plan within the limits of the dive briefing if we choose to. To me, that's how "The Know Before You Go" document reads. o_O
You are correct.

I hope this isn't the case. I'm going in May. While I don't expect to dive solo, my understanding is they put crew in the water, but my buddy and I can dive our own plan within the limits of the dive briefing if we choose to. To me, that's how "The Know Before You Go" document reads. o_O
Sept 2017 we dove with the DM only for the first few dives, by choice. Once comfortable with my buddy and the small group that formed. We just went off on our own.

Thanks folks. Unless I'm diving in less than benign conditions (i.e. tricky currents, tricky site, pangas far from the mothership) I prefer the option. Don't get me wrong, I really appreciate the efforts of the crew, their local knowledge, and ability to spot critters. I just really enjoy the option to do my own thing where applicable. :)

When I was on it back in 2015, buddy pairs could go off doing their own thing.

Richard.
We did not ask (and nobody else did). If DM is great and shows you lots of stuff, why bother?

We did not ask (and nobody else did). If DM is great and shows you lots of stuff, why bother?

Because I prefer to find stuff on my own.

Not required to follow the DM, but they do want buddy diving. My insta-buddy would haul axx and I just couldn't/wouldn't keep up. So i'd drop off, have a great dive by myself, or often somebody else would hang with me, then head back to the boat, putz around under it, then get out. Nothing said by me/to me.

Because I prefer to find stuff on my own.

Not required to follow the DM, but they do want buddy diving. My insta-buddy would haul axx and I just couldn't/wouldn't keep up. So i'd drop off, have a great dive by myself, or often somebody else would hang with me, then head back to the boat, putz around under it, then get out. Nothing said by me/to me.

Lol, I know the feeling. I don't mind diving with a group, but I'm always left behind as I tend to go really slow. One of the reasons I like to dive with Splash is that they know this and are willing to accommodate my style. Usually, the group zips off to see what's around the next bend while I remain behind exploring a particular patch of reef. Amazing what you can find when you're patient. So a pre-assigned dive guide will hang back and, once properly trained, knows not to bother me with "Look, there's a Lion Fish!" etc unless something dramatic comes along like a turtle or a Spotted Drum. We come up when we're ready.

In the Keys, the diving was so shallow that the dive op didn't even send a guide except for the deep wreck dives, so everyone just did their own thing. Hard to get in trouble or lost when you can't get below 20 feet. In Cuba, they didn't really have a clue what they were doing and were just grateful that we were there. I was left behind every dive every day, which was fine by me.

All diving we did was in a group with a DM. There was no option to go solo or even with a buddy.
Buddy pair do your own thing but stay above our depth limit, come back on time and have some gas in your tank is fine.

If you read the "know before you go" they are very clear that the corporate policy is that they do NOT provide guided dives. Their literature focuses on buddy pairs. They do however have a DM from the boat in the water each dive. Your buddy pair is free to follow the DM or not. But it is NOT a guided dive.

Buddy pair do your own thing but stay above our depth limit, come back on time and have some gas in your tank is fine.

If you read the "know before you go" they are very clear that the corporate policy is that they do NOT provide guided dives. Their literature focuses on buddy pairs. They do however have a DM from the boat in the water each dive. Your buddy pair is free to follow the DM or not. But it is NOT a guided dive.
And to clarify, several years ago the Belize Tourism board issued a "Code of Practice for Recreational Scuba diving services" which includes a limitation for guided tours of 8 certified divers per every tour guide. There is no discussion of requirements for non guided dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom