Non DIR doubles rig?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IMO if this out of air person ends up with a reg in their mouth, breathing air it doesn't matter if it comes out of your crotch. To much bull! I don't think all these folks throwing their crap at you would turn the reg down because it came from your necklace.

Last edited:
To much bull! I don't thing all these folks throwing they're crap at yiu would turn the reg down because it came from your necklace.

This is just stupid.......I mean't inane.

Last edited:
Small doubles rock for recreational diving! Awhile back I split my tech from rec, I was always trying to pimp out my rec rig with tech. When diving rec more often than not the people have no clue what a necklace is or a long hose. So I keep it familiar to those I dive rec with I.E. octo is yellow on a clip. I also enjoy no weights and the smaller tanks are still cool with a wetsuit without backup buoyancy. Enjoy it

I think you're fine with the LP50s, just make sure you fill them to 3600 so you get your money's worth.

As far as the hose thing, I don't recommend your approach. The whole point of the reg around your neck is that a panicked diver is most likely to just pull the reg out of your mouth, not patiently ask you for your octo, or try and search your body to find it--in recreational diving there is no standard.

So, the panicked diver pulls your primary out of your mouth, and it's on a 20" hose. That means the panicked diver, probably also flailing and grabbing at things, is going to be right on top of you. 20" is basically no distance. And then, you're going to have to pull the necklace reg up to your mouth, and hope it doesn't fall out of that flimsy holder you have it in.

Alternatively, you could have your backup reg around your neck in a bungee/surgical tubing (that's what I use because it's softer), and your primary in your mouth on a longer hose that allows you to put a little distance between yourself and the flailing, panicked diver that pulls it right out of your mouth--and maybe kicks off your mask for good measure.

If you think a 7' hose is too long, get a shorter one. The 5' hose, looped under the armpit and around the neck once is the most common for open water. You only need 7' if you need to go single file through a passage.

OP I've been using 2 LP50's (1800psi) as IDs for solo diving for years. I don't do the manifolds because after 2 shoulder ops I can't reach the valves. I've toyed with turning them upside down like one poster here and using manifolds but, the current config. works so well for me I really don't have the incentive to spent the money or do the work to invert them. The fact that I can handle them like singles all the way to the waters edge if I so please is a plus also. I use a 40" hose on the left and a 20something" on the right. Solo diving eliminates the donate issues.

However, on the rare occasions I use this config. on a buddy dive I sling a 19cuft pony with a 40"hose to donate. The pony's valve is on with an inline on/off to prevent free flows and of course the 1st stage has a OPV. The 2nd stage is on my right side waist belt D ring. My intent is to donate the entire pony rig to the OOA diver after the 2nd stage is offered and in use. Hopefully it'll never happen.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom