O-ring picks: Brass vs. nylon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You should also get one of these. Saves me a lot of hair pulling when I remove the o-ring at the BCD and 2nd stage end of the LP hoses. Careful though, it is sharp steel. I usually just pierce the O-ring to prevent scratching the groove, since I'm changing the O-ring anyway.
392.jpg

A couple search attempts yielded nothing, so this seemed like as good a place as any for this. I'm looking at getting an
o-ring pick, as reasonably as possible, just for occasional personal use (so I'm not looking to buy the most-expensive-best-of-the very,very-best.:D)
The 3-pack brass kit from LP and others are cheap at $10 delievered, but I read they are fragile and easily bent.
An ebay vendor called Captain O-ring has several, both nylon and brass, for $8-11 delivered. His green reinforced nylon unit is the one I'm looking most closely at right now (only about $8 delivered).
I like the idea of the sturdy reinforced nylon, but I can see how the brass ones, with their finer tips, might work better in some situations, than the somewhat chunkier synthetic ones.
Are these reinforced nylon picks ok, or junk that should be avoided in favor of brass?
Anyway, you get the idea. Any advice, specific recommendations, warnings, etc are all much appreciated......

I just had to remove an o-ring from an inflator coupling and the stronger the material of these picks the better. I would buy only steel picks that are tempered and have a variety of shape or bends. The inherent strength is necessary as brass is too soft and nylon is not strong enough. I have removed many in my career as a machine builder and tool and die maker.........if you want quality, you get what you pay for. You need the strength to "hook" the o-ring and then twist it to remove it which generally will break the hardened rubber. Mine came out in pieces. careful you do not gouge or score the o-ring groove surfaces. patience is necessary and a pair of tweezers. good luck

Back
Top Bottom