Hard Weights in Checked Bags?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

On my last two trips they didn't check anything. I assume it was just a fluke. They always looked in my carry-on bag at my scuba gear and one time even tested for "dangerous substances" because I forgot to empty my Red-Line filter water bottle. I try very had not to exceed the 3.4 oz liquid limits and always put my emergency tools in my checked bag and never put anything in my carry-on that is questionable. Since we are going to Hawai'i we are actually bringing KNIVES which are basically line cutters. Checked bag, of course. I'm also bringing my Goodie Bag and lobster gauge--lobster season is still going on in April, as long as I can manage to tell the girl lobsters from the boys.

I think I'll make it--we have 32 pounds of lead total, one jacket BC, one dive float with about a two-pound weight, and some miscellaneous stuff, all going into the checked bag. Since Alaska says "one" for the scuba gear I'll just put all the weights on one belt :wink: I might even be able to squeeze in and extra 2-pound weight, just in case.

@Charles2 Would that be a Priority Mail box? That sounds like a do-able option. How big is a $10 box? Even if it's a $15 box it could beat paying an extra $50 for being overweight on the checked bag.

Last edited:
Just don't go too crazy, there is actually a weight limit on flat rate boxes - 70# domestic and 20# international (4# for the small international.) I'm not sure if that was always the case but noticed it recently.

USPS Flat Rate Box is how some of our local dive stores get their weights from time to time. The mail delivery person is usually NOT amused. ;-)

You can buy lead while you are there and ship it in a small USPS flat rate box back to Tampa for less than $10. As a matter of fact, if you have the address of where you are staying, you can buy here and ship there......Just a thought.

Seriously, that's what I would do. You can put anything in those boxes. I buy bulk bullets for reloading, and they use the flat rate box, full of lead, to ship to me. The mail man isn't very happy, but it's their policy, not mine.

I think I'll make it--we have 32 pounds of lead total.

@Charles2 Would that be a Priority Mail box? That sounds like a do-able option. How big is a $10 box? Even if it's a $15 box it could beat paying an extra $50 for being overweight on the checked bag.

Yes, that would be a Priority Mail - Flat Rate box. I looked up the rates from Honolulu to Tampa and found the following sizes and shipping costs:

Priority Mail 3-Day Small Flat Rate Box: 8-5/8" x 5-3/8" x 1-5/8" (holds about 20 lb. lead) - $7.20
Priority Mail 3-Day Medium Flat Rate Box: 13-5/8" x 11-7/8" x 3-3/8" or 11" x 8-1/2" x 5-1/2" - $13.65
Priority Mail 3-Day Large Flat Rate Box: 23-11/16" x 11-3/4" x 3" or 12" x 12" x 5-1/2 - $18.90

There is a 70 lb. limit per box, but for lead, it's still the cheapest way to send. There is the option of 'Hold for Pickup', which does not cost extra, but it may allow you to ship to the post office for pickup when you get there.

I just happen to have one of those little boxes here and so far I've been able to get 14 pounds (2 x 5 lb + 2 x 2 lb) in the box. I'm sure 4 x 5 lb. could work but my five pounders just aren't the right shape. Taller, more narrow, and a little thicker would work. In any case it does definitely give us more options.

You'll get a "searched" note more often than not, simply because the fast food clerk on the x-ray machine sees an x-ray opaque glob and someone legitimately needs to know what might be hiding it in. But there's nothing wrong with putting lead bricks or baggies in checked baggage. It *should* be banned from carry-on, since anything vaguely usable as a "cudgel" is banned.

I heard from one fellow that he "always carries a firearm" when flying in the US. Apparently, TSA regulations not only allow you to lock your luggage, but they REQUIRE you to lock hard-sided luggage is a firearm is inside of it. (Even a non-functioning scrap antique pistol frame counts, he uses something similarly non-functional that legally is a firearm.) You have to declare it at the ticket counter, they can search it then and there if they want to, but then you lock it and keep the key--the TSA is not allowed to open it or cut the locks, they are required to summon you if they want to open it.

To any Alice's Restaurant fans out there...I do believe I will be flying with firearms more frequently.

He also got paid good money, for the one time he found two expensive padlocks cut off--and could document where in the flight process that had happened. TSA, violating their own rules and pretending faeries did it.

I have not been able to find any information on traveling with weights in checked luggage. Has anyone done this? I have read about people being allowed to take soft weights in carry ons. What about hard weights in luggage?
I am not using my full luggage allowance and only need one of two bags, but I am thinking of checking a bag with about 25lbs of weights. Will this be allowed? Flights are on United and include Hawaii, Saipan, Micronesia with one leg on Hawaiian airlines.
The two of us are looking at about 15 days of shore dives over the trip. With weight rentals up to $1 a pound per day this adds a lot to the cost of a shore dive!

I have traveled with lead in my checked bag several times. I have some 1.6 pound and 2 pound trim weights that I like that are typically not available on dive boats. I usually, but not always, get a note from TSA that they went rummaging through my bag.

In your carry on, hit or miss depending on the screener, official TSA policy is silent on this. If they won't let you carry it on you would want to have a "plan B."

You can buy lead while you are there and ship it in a small USPS flat rate box back to Tampa for less than $10. As a matter of fact, if you have the address of where you are staying, you can buy here and ship there......Just a thought.

I have done this and thought myself very clever until the box showed up ripped in half with one of the weights missing. It is very important to tape the box thoroughly -- don't rely on the adhesive strip. If shipping weights home you may have to purchase suitable tape especially if you are using an automated drop (e.g. because it's Sunday) and not dealing with a real, live person. Due to the various delays, limits, and documentation requirements the insurance was worthless in my situation, don't count on it.

Just curious here as I was unaware that anyone charged for weights anymore - hence no need to carry weights.

Tank rentals include any required weights in the places I go in the Caribbean. Is this a regional thing?

Just curious here as I was unaware that anyone charged for weights anymore - hence no need to carry weights.

Tank rentals include any required weights in the places I go in the Caribbean. Is this a regional thing?

We are going to Hawai'i next month and the cheapest I could find was $6/day and that is a maximum of 20 pounds. I did not see any offers for free weights with a tank rental but I'll look again. Every dive boat I've ever been on included weights with the boat dives, but we are going to be mainly doing shore diving. On a previous trip to Hawai'i I brought my weights so I never asked about renting them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom