Tank Setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Saniflush

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
SO I am sitting there last night watching an episode of "Mystery of the Lost Island" last night trying not to laugh at the host and cheering for the sharks to eat him and I see his tank setup. It is not anything I have ever seen before. Maybe this is a standard way in tech diving that I am not aware of (yet). Nitrox main tank with some other unmarked bottle strapped to it. Can someone explain what this is?

Sidebar...If you haven't seen the show, it is worth the DVR space but IMO it is terribly overacted in an attempt to make everything a life and death drama.

ridsetup
Rg3Ub

I thought that might be the case but every pony I have actually seen being used (which is not many) had been not mounted like that and were done more sling style. Thanks for the info.

I carry a 19cf pony on the deeper dives and I mount it to my main tank exactly the same way. It's safe it's secure, it's behind me and not interfering with any of my gear. I don't even know it's there, unless of course I might need it, in which case the pony regulator is directly below my chin and easy to find.

I mount my 13 cf bottle.

Hi Saniflush,

In my avatar picture, on the left lower corner, do you see a bolt snap? That is securing my pony/bailout bottle regulator. I dive with either a 6 cf bailout bottle mounted to my main cylinder or a 13cf pony, depending on the dive and conditions. My 6 cf bottle has been everywhere I go diving, and it travels on airliners.

I have had my 6 cf bottle mounted to my main cylinder, and grabbed my 13 cf pony and slung it like a stage bottle. I take two pounds of lead out of my jacket to compensate for the extra weight. I take both not because I need both, but because I am to lazy to derig the 6 cf bailout bottle for one deep dive.

I do solo dive, and I am occasionally stuck with insta-buddies. While diving with insta-buddies, I am solo diving. Especially when the insta-buddy decides to split.

It is becoming more common to see ponies rigged-up.

markm

I don't see a big deal about it, I mounted my 19cf on the side of my single back-tank when I was doing solos, the guy in the video does it more like on the top of his tank, everybody have is own approach on how he/she things the pony is mounted on their own convenience/way with its pro-cons.

I slinged one time my pony and didn't like it. so it went back like I had it before.

if you properly plan gas management so that you leave bottom with enough gas for 2 divers to share while making all thier ascent stops or speeds, there is no need for a pony bottle. This presumes you also monitor your gas during the dive and stick to your plan.

My brother mounts his on the side of his tank. I sling mine.

Back
Top Bottom