Aldora Divers Review: Two Tank Solo New Diver Experience Coming off a Cruise Ship

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is one issue that no one has addressed: Dave has stated that he will no longer take cruise ship divers. Therefore, a negative outcome of this thread is that may require a workaround for cruisers/ divers like myself.
Now ordinarily, I am repelled by anyone that lies on a reservation, but in this case, if you want to dive the most excellent Aldorra, (or because the other dive shops are full capacity and Aldorra is your last option for your one day on the island), you must come up with a creative story to explain why you want to dive at one particular time, while disguising your prohibited mode of transportation. Ideas please?
1) Visiting for an evening wedding, only have morning of wedding, must be back in time for the Bridal March.
2) Charitable service family that cannot take more than a morning off, and must be back in time to feed the orphans.
3) Religious nutjob that wants to convert fish to Christianity, but has to get out of the area before Poseidon shows up.
4)

There is one issue that no one has addressed: Dave has stated that he will no longer take cruise ship divers. Therefore, a negative outcome of this thread is that may require a workaround for cruisers/ divers like myself.
Now ordinarily, I am repelled by anyone that lies on a reservation, but in this case, if you want to dive the most excellent Aldorra, (or because the other dive shops are full capacity and Aldorra is your last option for your one day on the island), you must come up with a creative story to explain why you want to dive at one particular time, while disguising your prohibited mode of transportation. Ideas please?
1) Visiting for an evening wedding, only have morning of wedding, must be back in time for the Bridal March.
2) Charitable service family that cannot take more than a morning off, and must be back in time to feed the orphans.
3) Religious nutjob that wants to convert fish to Christianity, but has to get out of the area before Poseidon shows up.
4)
FWIW, if Dave has truly decided to stop catering to cruise ship divers:
1) I seriously doubt that it is solely a result of this thread.
2) It's his business to run any way he sees fit.
3) There are plenty of other dive ops on Cozumel who will accommodate cruisers.

I know someone who worked for a marketing company. One of his jobs was writing positive reviews for their clients and negative reviews for the competition.

I know someone who worked for a marketing company. One of his jobs was writing positive reviews for their clients and negative reviews for the competition.
That's happened here and we've figured it out right quick. Deception is never as easy as it looks.
FWIW, if Dave has truly decided to stop catering to cruise ship divers:
1) I seriously doubt that it is solely a result of this thread.
This may well have been the tipping point. Cruise ship divers are problematic on many levels and there are already dive ops who won't book them. "We're full that day" is a bit nicer than "go away!" The result is the same.

I saw a captain on a tech trip gently explain to a customer that they needed to do some repairs before they went on a trip. You can bet they were always "full" when that client called again. The second rule of diving: You can call a dive at any time, for any reason, with no questions asked and no repercussions. Sometimes those dives are called for you.

And he had no problem with the fundamental dishonesty of that?
Apparently not while doing it. He did leave that job, though.

Well, this subject seems to have hit a nerve. For anyone who cares, here’s my take. I’m not a ‘cruiser’ but I am a ‘one day’ diver. I’ve been diving since 1978 (I was certified at 2 years of age for those of you getting out your calculators) and diving Cozumel since the early 80's. I don’t dive as often as I used to and I’m not as physically robust as I once was, but I know my limitations and I can hold my own underwater. I used to take dive trips, now I take vacations. I usually dive 3-5 days over a week or two, but not consecutively. If Dave chooses not to book cruisers or one-day divers, I totally get it…

When I changed MY habits, I noticed a significant change in the type of diving I could expect. I was shuffled, I was put with the discover divers, with the cruisers, I no longer dove my tank…etc, etc. It’s a bummer, but if you go back and read Christie’s post I think she did an excellent job of explaining how difficult it is to accommodate a solo diver with a weird schedule. I never expected a dive operator to perfectly accommodate me when I’m only showing up one day here and there. They have couples, groups or even solos that book a week straight. Maybe my attitude is born from the years of experience being the 7 days on the boat diver, I don't know, but it just doesn't seem like it's that hard to understand.

Here’s the thing, I get to dive Palancar with qualified, safe operators who accommodate my not-so-great back, engage in friendly conversation, help me with gear issues, find me that little critter I’m jonesing to find, usually feed me treats and get me back safely. Cozumel is one of my favorite dive destinations and I just can’t complain about 45 vs 65 minutes or feeling like the odd woman out. I AM the odd woman out and yet they really try to make my experience as good as they can. Will they take me to the more challenging sites? Probably not. Definitely not on my first day. They don’t know me and I think it’s a bit much to ask them to remember one person out of the hundreds over a year. I don’t want to dive with an op that would take anyone anywhere without some evaluation of appropriate skill level.

Have I been on some very short dives? Yes. Have I seen Paradise Reef a few too many times on one trip. Yep. But I love diving and I actually prefer shallow reefs (more light, more critters). I COULD be back home. I’ll take a third day at Paradise, thank you.

After a few years of trying different ops I now have one I’m very happy with. He’s small enough I think he’ll get to know me, remember me, and feel confident putting me with any group he needs to. Unfortunately, he’s also small enough I may not be able to get on the boat when I want. There are ALWAYS compromises to be made. Bottom line? Try to understand all the planning and work that is involved in making YOUR dive day safe and enjoyable and then show up with a good attitude. I promise you will have a great day!

Well, this subject seems to have hit a nerve. For anyone who cares, here’s my take. I’m not a ‘cruiser’ but I am a ‘one day’ diver. I’ve been diving since 1978 (I was certified at 2 years of age for those of you getting out your calculators) and diving Cozumel since the early 80's. I don’t dive as often as I used to and I’m not as physically robust as I once was, but I know my limitations and I can hold my own underwater. I used to take dive trips, now I take vacations. I usually dive 3-5 days over a week or two, but not consecutively. If Dave chooses not to book cruisers or one-day divers, I totally get it…

When I changed MY habits, I noticed a significant change in the type of diving I could expect. I was shuffled, I was put with the discover divers, with the cruisers, I no longer dove my tank…etc, etc. It’s a bummer, but if you go back and read Christie’s post I think she did an excellent job of explaining how difficult it is to accommodate a solo diver with a weird schedule. I never expected a dive operator to perfectly accommodate me when I’m only showing up one day here and there. They have couples, groups or even solos that book a week straight. Maybe my attitude is born from the years of experience being the 7 days on the boat diver, I don't know, but it just doesn't seem like it's that hard to understand.

Here’s the thing, I get to dive Palancar with qualified, safe operators who accommodate my not-so-great back, engage in friendly conversation, help me with gear issues, find me that little critter I’m jonesing to find, usually feed me treats and get me back safely. Cozumel is one of my favorite dive destinations and I just can’t complain about 45 vs 65 minutes or feeling like the odd woman out. I AM the odd woman out and yet they really try to make my experience as good as they can. Will they take me to the more challenging sites? Probably not. Definitely not on my first day. They don’t know me and I think it’s a bit much to ask them to remember one person out of the hundreds over a year. I don’t want to dive with an op that would take anyone anywhere without some evaluation of appropriate skill level.

Have I been on some very short dives? Yes. Have I seen Paradise Reef a few too many times on one trip. Yep. But I love diving and I actually prefer shallow reefs (more light, more critters). I COULD be back home. I’ll take a third day at Paradise, thank you.

After a few years of trying different ops I now have one I’m very happy with. He’s small enough I think he’ll get to know me, remember me, and feel confident putting me with any group he needs to. Unfortunately, he’s also small enough I may not be able to get on the boat when I want. There are ALWAYS compromises to be made. Bottom line? Try to understand all the planning and work that is involved in making YOUR dive day safe and enjoyable and then show up with a good attitude. I promise you will have a great day!

We need a “love” button - I wish everyone shared your attitude. Congratulations on recognizing your limits, slowing down and being ok with it!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom