Do you think a 32 minute layover in Houston is enough?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tcmstr - It's a ticket United sold me on their website. UA1104 arrives from Denver at 11:32 AM and UA1549 leaves for Cozumel at 12:04 PM.

I booked it a couple months ago & didn't really focus on the layover time. I assume they think it's going to work since they booked the ticket. But when I noticed that 32 minute window, I lost a little sleep. Even if we make it, I'm wondering if the checked luggage will.
FWIW, I nearly missed a connection to CZM in HOU a few years ago. When I got to the gate for the connection, I expressed my concern to the gate attendant that our bags would not make the connection. She told me that If I made it my bags would, too.

@giffenk, I agree on the negative affects of losing vacation time. I have a feeling that the airlines will charge a steep fee for re-booking the flight. If there is no penalty, I would definitely recommend flying into Houston the night before.

I love having the Global Entry pass but keep in mind that when using the TSA precheck benefit, many airports only offer the service during certain hours. While Houston seems to have more extended hours than other airports, you really cannot count on that benefit if your times are outside the TSA precheck hours.

Houston TSA hours IAH Checkpoint Hours of Operation | Houston Airport System
DFW TSA hours dfwairport.com - TSA Security Checkpoints 
ATL TSA hours Passenger Security | ATL | Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport

United has one flight per day into Cozumel from Houston. We arrive 32 minutes prior to its departure & I'm worried about making the connection. Seems like there's a terminal change involved.

If we miss that flight, it's a 24 hour wait until the next one (or bag drag).

Has anybody else made that tight of a connection there? Any tips?

Thanks!
You can make it if everything goes perfectly. How often does that happen?

FWIW, I nearly missed a connection to CZM in HOU a few years ago. When I got to the gate for the connection, I expressed my concern to the gate attendant that our bags would not make the connection. She told me that If I made it my bags would, too.
Of course she said that. Made you happy!

Of course she said that. Made you happy!
It was more than that. Baggage travels more directly from point to point than passengers do, and at least in this case she was right. I ran from one gate to the other; they were in different terminals and I got to the departure gate just before they shut the doors. Our bags made it.

It was more than that. Baggage travels more directly from point to point than passengers do, and at least in this case she was right. I ran from one gate to the other; they were in different terminals and I got to the departure gate just before they shut the doors. Our bags made it.
Not always the case. Actually mostly never the case. Especially for international flights as your bags have to go through screening.

Depending on where you sit, you can be off the plane well before they have even opened the cargo hold doors.

Not always the case. Actually mostly never the case. Especially for international flights as your bags have to go through screening.

Depending on where you sit, you can be off the plane well before they have even opened the cargo hold doors.
Whatever; it's a non-issue for me now under all but the worst case scenarios. There is another AUS-HOU flight an hour earlier than the minimum layover one. Since my close call I always book the earlier one. Getting to sleep an hour longer isn't worth it. :D

tcmstr - It's a ticket United sold me on their website. UA1104 arrives from Denver at 11:32 AM and UA1549 leaves for Cozumel at 12:04 PM.

I booked it a couple months ago & didn't really focus on the layover time. I assume they think it's going to work since they booked the ticket. But when I noticed that 32 minute window, I lost a little sleep. Even if we make it, I'm wondering if the checked luggage will.

On the plus side...it's practically a non-stop flight! :)

I was about to call them & discuss changing it (and eating 4 change fees), but I thought I'd get some input here first. Thanks to everybody for their thoughts/experiences.

United is really bad for that, they will not give a **** if you miss your flight. I learned that the hard way. I never fly with United again after that.

United is really bad for that, they will not give a **** if you miss your flight. I learned that the hard way. I never fly with United again after that.

To be fair, it is also the responsibility of the traveler to be realistic of their connection times. It is not United's or any other airline's problem if one does not choose appropriately or pay attention at the time of booking and therefore misses their connection. Stuff happens that is out of every airline's control. Air traffic control and weather are among some of those things and if a delay is because of that, it's not fair to blame any airline for it.

I have had pleasant experiences with every airline where I have missed a flight. I guess I've been lucky.

Back
Top Bottom