Whale Sharks in Isla Mujeres -- late June vs early July?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ChyLn

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all,

We're considering a long weekend trip down for a whale shark snorkel and wonder if there's any significant difference in the number of whale sharks that are there in late June vs early July. Flights are significantly cheaper for us in late June but we would be willing to pay a bit more if it means seeing many more whale sharks.

Recommendations for operators would also be greatly appreciated! I think we're learning towards staying around IM as the boat trips seem to be on the shorter side compared to the other sites, as far as I can see from posts around here.

Thanks in advance!

I have been to Isla mujeres for whale sharks every summer for many years and choose to do my photography group trips in July , sometimes early July. The season officially starts in June, but weather can effect when the aggregation arrives (depends on when food appears) . I was there July 1st last year and they had not seen many the week before, but started finding them the July 1st. Another factor is the full moon - it can cause more food to gather at the surface for the whale sharks to find and may increase the numbers you find.

A note about Isla Mujeres: if you stay on Cancun and go out you have a long boat ride and only a short one or two sessions in the water then return. The boats out of Isla have a shorter ride out there and might stay out longer.
I can not do much to recommend operators since I charter the whole boat from the owner for my groups. I do , however, get the sense that all the day boat operators on Isla are a bit more conscientious than those in Cancun. Isla is a small town and the people who are most active about the sustainability of this activity live there, so the spirit trickles down.

My dates do not coordinate with your travel, but if you would be interested in a 4 day photography workshop type experience with the whale sharks - check my website for trip details. We go out on our private boat and stay our all day. Based in Isla mujeres.
www.photographwhalesharks.com

July and August typically are better months for the whale sharks. Sometimes June can be rougher water and thus port closures. Blue H2o Cozumel does whale shark trips everyday starting June 1 - Sept 17. Tours from Cozumel, Playa Del Carmen, Tulum, Cancun, Plan and book now. www.blueh2ocozumel.com/whalesharks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom