Key West dive shop

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

But I just find a instabuddy who wants a guide, the cattle go one way and we go out on our own at my pace which is very leisurely.

I agree...if you're prepared to do this and it's within the rules of the boat (most all the boats in the Keys I've used, it's not a problem) it works pretty well. Once you splash, it's a big ocean under there. :) To me, cattle boats aren't about the size of the boat, but about the situation where there are too many folks on the boat to be able to move around and gear up comfortably no matter the size/type of boat. Some of the best/most relaxing dives I've done in the Keys have been off nice, big Corinthians.

Just comparing it to driving all the way to Key Largo. Personally, you don't have to be glib, Eddie Haskell...:) Nothing wrong with a Finz specialty boat, but you're going to pay a premium. If you don't have a vehicle, it would probably balance out, but there are boats going out regularly to some very nice reefs not too far from Key West.
How do I say this without sounding glib (which was not my intention). We had a hurricane which lifted the skirts of Looe Key and had her way with her. In fact, most every reef between Marathon and Cudjoe is a little rode hard and put up wet.

YMMV. 'Range of conditions' for Florida Keys reefs after the hurricane: Travel Weekly

How do I say this without sounding glib

Oh feel free to be glib, it's an entertaining quality (I was j/k). :) Always good to have local knowledge on the ground, though while things got roughed up pretty good the canals are clear, boats are going out, and it's still worth diving not just for the coral but also the wildlife. All IMHO, YMMV.

Last edited:
I've got hundreds of dives on Looe Key. Unless you're experienced diving the reef before Irma, it's unlikely you'll see the damage without someone pointing it out to you. Certainly the fish are there, the eagle rays, sharks, goliaths and other most sought after species in abundance as well. Over the last several weeks I've been diving the reef with the headboats at Looe Key Reef Resort and Captain Hook's (the new owner of Strike Zone), and the service and experience has been as good as it can be on a 4 hour, headboat dive. I'm a solo diver (and hate buddy roulette), but every trip I've done has been fine nonetheless, the folks I've been paired with good company and good divers. Going again this week as soon as the wind relents, and looking forward to it. My only gripe about diving the Keys this time of year is the prevalent north wind that dives in green inshore water and the poor visibility that comes with it. Oh, and the 70° bottom temp, too!

I To me, cattle boats aren't about the size of the boat, but about the situation where there are too many folks on the boat to be able to move around and gear up comfortably no matter the size/type of boat. Some of the best/most relaxing dives I've done in the Keys have been off nice, big Corinthians.

Undestand. On the big boats like Ocean Divers uses, I have more room to stand and move around then on many small six packs.

Captains corner is great. I just visited them for the 2nd time. Wife and I did our aow 2 years ago.

Pros:
Dive your own profile
Boat leaves at 9:30am(Vandy) & 1:30pm(Reefs)
Plenty of room on the boat, even when it's "full". They don't cram a tank into every single spot.
Located right in town.

Word is South point limits you to 17mins on the Vandy. You can easily get 30 min+ with CC. They also leave at 8/8:30am I believe. Their dock location is further away then CC.

I always take a guide on the Vandy. They'll show you so much more then you can see on your own. All 4 guides that we have used have been great. They quickly evaluate you and your groups experience and comfortablilty and give you the best experience.

We dove the Vandy 4 days in March. Only other boat out there was south point, and that was only 1 day.

I tend to find the Reefs lackluster compared to our local diving here in Jupiter/West Palm. So it's usually am Vandy dives and then cocktails for lunch by 2.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom