Ultima Dry Glove System question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I prefer showa over ansell as well just because I have more experience with them and they are available off the shelf at a few places in Seattle.

The commercial fishing supply store had the ansell 78-101. I think they are some kind of cottton blend. They didn't look impressive in person but I tried on a pair and they felt great. They are really thin also and I bought them "skin tight" so they fit like a glove. Thanks to them i will be able to downsize gloves by one size. To fully compare i will have to use them on a 2 hour dive but so far I feel pretty good about them. They are seamless, online they appear to be the opposite however.

I'll post some pics of the del-ring dry glove ring system by OS Systems.

Del-Ring Dry Glove System by OS Systems. Two small o-rings mate up to the suit ring, does not "click" like the waterproof ultimas, the inside of the suit side ring is smooth. The larger o rings are used to mate the ring to your latex seal and mate the dry glove to the ring system. Pics - OPEN, CLOSED, & PARTS.
20180322_173728.jpg
20180322_173707.jpg
20180322_173749.jpg

Nice! That's cool... So these rings are the "clamp-in" style... Designed to clamp in to your existing glued-in latex seals.

You could probably use them directly with your ZipSeals, couldn't you? Zip some seals on, then place these on the latex seal.

Presto... You'd have rings on your ZipSeals without having to get any alteration done. Now gloves can be last to don and first to doff. :)

Yes exactly, that's how they're designed to be used, I have tried it. However that method would add at least an inch to each sleeve on my dry suit. The zipseals have a "soft" silicone ring that the latex wrist seal is glued onto, I plan to remove the seal and glue the suit side of the del-ring (the side that would otherwise be installed on the wrist seal) to the INSIDE of the zip seal ring which will then mate to my suit via zip seal.

It's a little extra work but it seems like a perfect solution for me at the moment. I can continue to test out different dry gloves before going all in.

I just got the 720s and SeaJay was correct, they stretch nicely. I've set up three sets and will try them out once our storms subside. I have a trip to Canada in three weeks so I may have to try them out in the bathtub. :)
View attachment 451732

That looks really nice and even. I wish I could get that level of consistency on my gloves. I've had trouble finding the 720s in XL anywhere online without having to buy a case of them. Where can I just find a set to try out? I'm hesitant to uninstall the 620s I have on there because it was such a pain to get them on in the first place but I'm tempted to try the 720s if I can find them.

Seajay - are the fingers in the 720 smaller than the 620s? It seemed like when I compared the Large 720 to a Large 660 the 660 had larger fingers so I could fit the G2 liners under them. Thoughts?

I bought three pair of the 720s on Ebay. There are single pair auctions as well as a dozen available. The 720s stretched much easier than the PVC gloves, making it easy to get them nice and flat on the rings. If they don't leak they might be the only style of gloves I ever buy again.

This is awesome... We've got a nice little team going here, essentially testing drygloves. Different locations, different gear, different dive styles.

SHOWA gloves - what we're using here - are made right up the street from me... Right here, in the good ol' US of A. :) Want gloves? Call them directly and ask for some samples. The phone number is 800-241-0323. Ask for two pair of whatever style you want, up to three styles. If they ask, just tell them you're with DEEP SOUTH DIVERS and are testing gloves for underwater use.

Cost = free. They don't even ask for postage. :)

Sekeli: Your idea sounds fantastic! You're essentially planning on making a ZipCuff... How cool is that? A zipped-in dryglove ring. Brilliant! You know you could sell a lot of those things, right?

Ean: The 660s and/or 620s indeed may be a little fatter and stubbier... But any difference is tiny. Call SHOWA and order two pair of 620s, 660s and 720s - in upsizes if you need to - and compare for yourself. If the 720s are narrower, the offset would be that they're stretchier, so they wouldn't feel tight while in use like the 660s and 620s would. Also - the 720s are naturally warmer than the 660s because nitrile is more insulating than PVC... So you may find that you don't need glove liners in the 720s like you do in the 660s and 620s. Lastly... FourthE's new Xerotherm glove liner is definitely an option. It's thinner and more svelte than the G2, and arguably just as warm... Especially under a 720. Personally, I believe that a glove liner is overkill with the 720, but if it's cold enough for you to use one, try the Xerotherm instead of the G2.

Glove liners are ALWAYS necessary in latex gloves, which is what the manufacturers have designed these rings to work with. Latex is thin and stretchy - which is great - but is fragile and holes easily... And provides zero warmth at all, which is why liners are popular. The nitrile 720s by comparison are warm and incredibly tough. You may not need the liners at all - and probably will not see a hole or leak ever unless something catastrophic happens to the gloves.

Last edited:
Well you have convinced me, once I get my 282 in the water again, I’ll rig up my 720’s and give them a go with a thin liner to directly compare.

Oh man, that would be awesome!

The 281s and the 282s are the only two that I have not really tried yet and I'm very curious about. The only issue that I really know of with those gloves is that they are very short.

It may also be an issue that they are so thin, but their numbers say that the thickness doesn't matter.

They might be really amazing.

Back
Top Bottom