Bauer KW15-E3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Michael.c.johnston

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, I'm new on the forum!

I have a Bauer KW15-E3 with Block No 204661. It has a compressor labeled "Alup-Kompressor EK 103523"

It seems that my stage 1 relief valve is popping open and stage 2 will not reach operating pressure. I take this to mean that the inlet reed valves in the stage 2 cylinder are likely faulty. I think I will remove the cylinder head for the stage 2 cylinder today and take a look inside. Does anyone have any insight into this? Does anyone know of a good source for parts for Cleveland, OH?

Unfortunately, this compressor has been neglected for about a decade (or more?). I called the company that originally supplied the hardware about 15 years ago, and they were not even remotely helpful.

I changed the oil this morning, and the drained oil was absolutely black. I take this to be a very bad sign since there are no combustion products to be absorbed like in an automobile. Let me know if this is considered 'normal', but I doubt it. I think I will change the oil again in a few hours just to give it a good flush.

Any help or comments would be greatly appreciated!

MIchael try calling Alex Air Breathing Air Systems - Fittings and Accessories
They helped me with parts and repair advice in Minnesota. They may help you find a supplier in OHIO. Bauer is a really popupalr compressor for Fire Departments so check the the local fire department to see who services their compressors.

After putting in some time with the compressor, I think Bauer installed the Alup block because the 29CFM was outside their normal range.

The valve on this compressor is the "Concentric Plate Valve" type and looks like this:
open

open

I can't get picture embedding to work, here is a link to the google drive: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bwt1ka_3_ckuM2NBV0cwOFBhZkwwWEx4MDI2bGpSYmxwWW9z

I can't seem to find a replacement, and every single company I have looked in to that sells plate valves is ultra sketchy with any details about specifications, part numbers, and how to order.

I'm not sure if Bauer blocks use this type of valve? I can't figure out how the tool that
TrimixToo suggests would be used for removal.

The valve in the picture above looks a lot like a Bauer "Inlet Valve" or Bauer "Discharge Valve" similar to August Industries - Bauer Inlet Valve N2975 which are both "plate valves". Except this particular valve is a "Concentric Plate Valve" which has the inlet and discharge valve sections on the same part (concentrically located). Inside is either inlet/outlet and the outside ring is the opposite.

Last edited:
Hi, I'm new on the forum!

I have a Bauer KW15-E3 with Block No 204661. It has a compressor labeled "Alup-Kompressor EK 103523"

It seems that my stage 1 relief valve is popping open and stage 2 will not reach operating pressure. I take this to mean that the inlet reed valves in the stage 2 cylinder are likely faulty. I think I will remove the cylinder head for the stage 2 cylinder today and take a look inside. Does anyone have any insight into this? Does anyone know of a good source for parts for Cleveland, OH?

Unfortunately, this compressor has been neglected for about a decade (or more?). I called the company that originally supplied the hardware about 15 years ago, and they were not even remotely helpful.

I changed the oil this morning, and the drained oil was absolutely black. I take this to be a very bad sign since there are no combustion products to be absorbed like in an automobile. Let me know if this is considered 'normal', but I doubt it. I think I will change the oil again in a few hours just to give it a good flush.

Any help or comments would be greatly appreciated!

It's not a Bauer, it's a " Bitsa " by your description.

The Alup EK 103523 compressor is a 2 stage 35 bar pump incapable of filling scuba tanks.

After putting in some time with the compressor, I think Bauer installed the Alup block because the 29CFM was outside their normal range.

The valve on this compressor is the "Concentric Plate Valve" type and looks like this:
open

open

I can't get picture embedding to work, here is a link to the google drive: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bwt1ka_3_ckuM2NBV0cwOFBhZkwwWEx4MDI2bGpSYmxwWW9z

I can't seem to find a replacement, and every single company I have looked in to that sells plate valves is ultra sketchy with any details about specifications, part numbers, and how to order.

I'm not sure if Bauer blocks use this type of valve? I can't figure out how the tool that
TrimixToo suggests would be used for removal.

The valve in the picture above looks a lot like a Bauer "Inlet Valve" or Bauer "Discharge Valve" similar to August Industries - Bauer Inlet Valve N2975 which are both "plate valves". Except this particular valve is a "Concentric Plate Valve" which has the inlet and discharge valve sections on the same part (concentrically located). Inside is either inlet/outlet and the outside ring is the opposite.

Sorry, in looking it up I find that tool is not used in the second stage (nor the first, but I knew that part), but only the third and fourth stages. That still does not help you but I don't want others to ask after or buy the tool for no good reason. (I have one, but have yet to remove my 2nd stage head.)

Thanks for the info on the Alup block, Namreg58. The low pressure/high flow is what we want for our application. As far as I know, the compressor was originally provided this way from Bauer and what you tell me about the Alup block matches the specifications that Bauer gave us when it was purchased. The block number on the Bauer infoplate and the Alup plate serial number are identical (204661).

The specification plate from Bauer. 400psi, 24.9 cfm: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bwt1ka_3_ckuZU9FeVBYSmZORlAxd0FEcnVlRm95YjlsOWNN

The plate from the Alup block: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bwt1ka_3_ckuS0R3RFNLRFJ3cEtCWWp1aC1HS1laNlJyc2Vj

Last edited:
If the compressor has been dormant for a number of years, the likely scenario is that the 2nd stage inlet reed valve is gummed up and needs to be stripped down if possible and cleaned with solvent.

The other possibility is that someone may have worked on it previously and replaced / assembled the reed valve plate incorrectly.

Namreg58, That is a very good possibility. After my first post, I removed and disassembled the concentric inlet/outlet valve and cleaned it with solvent just like you suggested. While I put it back together the same way I took it apart, it is difficult to tell if it was assembled correctly to begin with.

The valve plates and seats are cleaned up.

It is difficult to tell from the picture that I posted https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bwt1ka_3_ckuM2NBV0cwOFBhZkwwWEx4MDI2bGpSYmxwWW9z , but the valve springs are just bent metal rings. The two small rings in the upper left are curved disks and the two large disks in the middle of the picture are curved. Two bent metal rings per valve (inlet/outlet). I do not know the direction of correct alignment of these springs (each one has two possible orientations), I just know how they came out of the valve when I removed them. I will disassemble the valve again and try a different spring configuration to see if it helps. I may also try rebending the rings to see if I can add more spring pressure, perhaps they have worn out over the years.

Thanks for all the help so far!

Back
Top Bottom